• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I look for to know if my setup will work with 4 sticks of RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PitfireX

Registered
Right now I have 2x4gb and I feel that I need more, but I don't really have alot of money. I recently came across $50 and would like to shove another 2x4gb in if I can rather than waiting to afford 2x8gb. I've heard that only some Mobos and CPUs can accept 4xRAM.

This is my setup:
Mobo - MSI Z77A-G45
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
GPU - nvidia Geforece 750
PSU - coolmax 600w

Thanks alot guys.

A couple of things... this ^^ +1.

*You can confirm this in your manual as well.

I assume you have 64 bit windows installed?

8GB is usually plenty for most people. What are you doing that you need more than that?

As far as 'shoving in' another 2x4GB set of sticks, try to get the same exact model as your current sticks otherwise you could have an unstable system.

I would take that $50 and get a better PSU with it personally... Coolmax is more known for starting fires than it is reliably powering PCs...

This specific coolmax is actually REALLY solid... I don't know why lol.

Lately when I watch netflix/VLC and play warcraft and maybe torrent at the same time im getting heavy stuttering. i've been watching my resource monitor and my ram is spiking out when they occur. Right now im rocking a nvidia 560 ti which could be the culprit but in 2 days ill have the new 750 so ill know pretty fast. CPU seems fine at all times... so first thought was RAM eventhough I know 8 should be plenty and more is generally for video editing and stuff :/ And yes im running x64.

This specific coolmax is actually REALLY solid... I don't know why lol.

Lately when I watch netflix/VLC and play warcraft and maybe torrent at the same time im getting heavy stuttering. i've been watching my resource monitor and my ram is spiking out when they occur. Right now im rocking a nvidia 560 ti which could be the culprit but in 2 days ill have the new 750 so ill know pretty fast. CPU seems fine at all times... so first thought was RAM eventhough I know 8 should be plenty and more is generally for video editing and stuff :/ And yes im running x64.

I would wait until after you get that new video card in there definitely! 8 should be enough for everything you're doing...but if it's not...like EarthDog said, definitely get a matching pair of sticks of RAM, you'll be happier for it in the end!

Back