• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this server build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saint924

Hi, everyone here seems to know a good deal on server's
and such. So.. anyway
Ive built many custom systems in the past for friends family as well as myself. However Ive never built my own server Although I do have a great deal as to what one needs and how to work a server. I mostly have rented servers in the past for Gaming purposes (my clan). Any feed back at all on the below info would be well above appreciated.

Im trying to build a Home server that can host as many Gaming server's, Voice servers and websites/web space as possible.
I plan on building the server running threw Windows xp professional 64bit. Now I was wondering with the below specs about how many Gaming server's/voice servers I can run (you can answer by saying "a lot" or "not so many")..
""""and/or"""" whether the server would be stable or worth building with such specs in one system.

MOTHER BOARD (has onboard video card):
ASUS Z8PE-D18(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 series Server Motherboard

CPU (I have two CPU's supported):
2 x Intel Xeon E5530 Nehalem 2.4GHz Quad-core Server CPU. (L2 cache 4 x 256kb, L3 cache 8 MB)

RAM (totals out to 72GB's within 18 slots):
6 x Patriot Signature 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory

Hard Drive (got 4 totaling out to 3150 GB's):
1x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 Rpm's (Installing OS on this)
3x Western Digital Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM's

Power Supply (750w) (was thinking of 1250w PS but this build has no video cards its onboard would it be needed?):
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

I also have a good Server rack case and sound card and cd/dvd drive esc. Looking into Power supply Backup as well.

Plan on running this on Verison Fios's best connection for now on a dedicated line.

Note:
So you know, this server will be running Gaming server's for Counter-strike source, Call of duty 4 ,
Modern warfare 2 (soon to be) and some others but mostly those. Once again any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Those parts are serious overkill for game servers. How many servers do you plan on hosting on it?

Also, you won't be able to host servers though a residential internet connection, ISP's block the ports.

a lot
double the ram and add a raptor for either raid 1 to minimize downtime or raid 0 for performance. storage won't be much of an issue for a game server
make sure your isp is not limiting bandwidth

a lot
double the ram and add a raptor for either raid 1 to minimize downtime or raid 0 for performance. storage won't be much of an issue for a game server
make sure your isp is not limiting bandwidth

Still even if you could host thousands of game servers, what would be the point?

@Saint924, your best bet would be to use some left over hardware that you have. Even a P4 machine can handle a dozen CSS servers with ease.

WAY WAY overkill for a home game server.... your internet connection is gonna be the huge limiting factor WAY WAY before hardware..... i have a 26/20mbit connection and my 1.8ghz e4300 would be fine running every game server available till i maxed my net connection, and still have tons of processing power left over.

Those parts are serious overkill for game servers. How many servers do you plan on hosting on it?

Also, you won't be able to host servers though a residential internet connection, ISP's block the ports.

That would depend upon where you reside and who your ISP is,
My ISP in the UK does not block ports

Im trying to build a Home server that can host as many Gaming server's, Voice servers and websites/web space as possible.

If you are going to be hosting for other people too, it might be a good idea to plan on how you will be taking backups, and how you might recover in case of a failure.

My ISP doesn't even block port 25 lol. No ports blocked here, but still I doubt I could have any success renting more than two servers for bandwidth reasons. Maybe not even so much bandwidth as snappiness. I'd think my connection could handle that extra step on a server and then some days everyone in it lags. Those two would be on a P4/Athlon and two mirror'd 40 GB drives.

Well below is my current connection. And I was actually able to run a Counter-Strike source server off of my desktop (keep in mind I have multiple computers running off the current connection almost at all times). I was able to forward the ports and so on. Now verizon actually offer's even greater download/upload speeds. Which in the case that I build this server I plan on using on a dedicated line. If I have to later on down the road I will have T1 installed. Now how many servers you ask? Well I stated before as many as possible.. most people would say 1 server per CPU cores (my case I have 8 cores). I want to run double if not triple that numbers worth of servers. The 72 gb's of ram most would say is insane.. I was thinking the more Ram the better (in my case I'll buy it if itll help). I also intend on running Ventrilo's and hosting websites. So lets say atleast 12 Counter-strike Source servers and 8 Cod4 servers plus Ventrilos for all of those and a website if not more. Of course if I can host more then that It would be even better. I wont just be hosting servers for myself.

571050221.png

read that wrong with the ram, 72gb is fine
but storage i would reconsider.
i would go with a raid 0 or raid 0+1, i would also consider SSD's
i might even do a single 74 or 150gb raptor for OS only, then a second drive with 3x raptors in raid 0 where you gonna run the games on etc and then whatever you need for storage.
with 10-20 game servers and considering 10 players per server you could end up with 100-200 people pounding your server, with that many people your hdd array hopefully will not be the lag.

Well I have a Samsung 250GB SSD. I got a deal on it when purchasing a laptop it was an extra Hard drive but I dont use it. I checked the prices on 250GB solid state drives and was surprised to see that the thing can cost up to $1000. So Im guessing using a WD raptor 150 GB for OS. And the Samsung 250GB SSD for my games should take care of any bottlenecks? and asides from that I can get some other drives in there for backup purposes. What do you think?

So lets say atleast 12 Counter-strike Source servers and 8 Cod4 servers plus Ventrilos for all of those and a website if not more.

your going to need a HELLA lot more then 2mb upload or even a T1, with that many servers you will be needing some buisness grade lines with 20mb+ on it if you dont wanty alot of lag spikes or problems

and really, putting that many games servers on one rig is asking for trouble unless you plan to spend a crap load on a backup system and some form of redundancy, it sounds like you have high hopes and big dreams, sure the hardware may be cheap, but keeping it running and people happy wont be..

i mean really, does the world need more CS:S servers and mroe COD4 servers?

Actually I just found out from verizon Fios (Fiber optics). $139.99 for 50MB download and 20MB upload speed. And yea Im changing the build up a lot for perfection figured if Im gonna do this might as well go the whole way. Im even adding a good graphics card (worse comes to worse Ill atleast have a kick@ss gaming rig). But Im going to double up the Samsung 250GB Solid state drive in raid. I have some pretty good cooling for the system. And I'm getting a lot of storage backup as well as a power generator incase the power goes out. I also looked into server gaming panels to help monitor all the servers and manage them with ease. Anyway thank you everyone for the feedback. And of course if anyone has any more ideas or feedback they will be appreciated. I will post how the project works out when Im done :santa:

Sounds like an awsome project, but to ask, what will make your game servers different from all the others already out?

Have you planned out what you will host? Custom mods or not? spending this much cash you should think about how you will draw people to your server vs the thounsands already out there

for one raptors are not really know to be the most reliable hdds, just fast. reliability is a huge factor in servers.

tru that, a decent sas drive would be better any day but then raptors, used ones can be had for 50 bucks these days.
after all this is still a home server not an enterprise environment

Get the new AMD sub 100$ quad core, some large and fast hd's in raid with 8gb of RAM and you will be set to run a decent game server while performing home duties with no issues.

The biggest thing to think on a server is I/O speed and efficiency.

Back