• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you use for your desktop sound system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I used to use the onboard digital toslink of my Asus Commando ROC to my legacy Yamaha receiver (pre HDMI) Sounded OK, but not great. Then I built a dual socket workstation from a used Supermicro X8DTH server board (no onboard sound). Used a USB Behringer UFO202 DAC because it was cheap and worked. Now I'm using my Schiit Modi 3 DAC and it's an order of magnitude better. I've never heard my AR3a bedroom system speakers sound so excellent. I didn't know they still had it in them.

Posting due to special circumstances that others here may also be living with. I'm very hard of hearing and wear hearing aids while in public, mostly. Years ago, maybe 20-30 or so, I ran my PC sound through a Creative Labs card into my Sansui (remember them?) receiver, then into a pair of Infinity QBs. But I've had to evolve into using a Bose Mini for general sound, i.e., listing to a website's presentation other than music. Later in the evening I use Audio Technica M55s which are pretty good for any and all sound; system sound through a jack only as even with the earmuffs cranked up I still must focus to hear what's playing. I'm also sure that my hearing is still deteriorating so it's just a matter of time before I'll be using closed captioning. Maybe I can run it in ALL CAPS!

Through my Creative Sound Blaster Z, I used to run a custom made cable into my Sansui AU-D5 integrated amp pushing a pair of old Beckers Model 12.3/Acoustic Studio Monitors along with an Acoustic Research S112PS sub. Using a BSR AQL-300 to fine tune things.

After a while I found it to be overkill so I went back to my Logitech Z560's which is more than enough for my needs on the PC. I did impress the neighbors when they would stop by and see how I was cranking out the sound when i was gaming, lol.

Onboard S/PDIF to an Onkyo HT-R570 (just the amplifier), powering a pair of Polk Monitor 40 Series II and Polk PSW505 subwoofer, or a Sennheiser HD650 with a Antlion ModMic.

For my speakers: Onboard audio (ESS Sabre DAC) to my Outlaw RR2150 integrated amp.

For my headphones: Monoprice USB headphone amp to my Sennheiser HD-6XX.

Mic: Blue Snowball USB condensor mic.

Primarily, USB to Modi 2 MB, RCA to a borrowed Yamaha RX-V871 running in 2.1 to a pair of JBL A180s and a Klipsch R-10SW (overkill but use it for overall bedroom sound, planning on swapping the JBLs with the smaller Pioneers I use for the TV).

Headphones, I have the Modi going through some RCA splitters to a Magni 2, then juggle between a set of Hifiman HE-400is and 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990s, but primarily the HFMs as I'm a sucker for planars.

I feel like such a pleb compared to you guys... my 'good' equipment (its not good, lol) is in the living room. :)

I feel like such a pleb compared to you guys... my 'good' equipment (its not good, lol) is in the living room. :)

If it helps, I've been piecing stuff together since college, so it's all spread over a decade lol. Hell, the receiver in the living room died a while back - grabbed the JBLs instead of a replacement since I'm selfish liked that.

Onboard HDA, to dac spdif, to my A5+/S8 sub system. Would really like a separate sound system for my tv too but what I have works and I aint rich.

Unless you're strictly a headphone desktop user, get the best speakers you can afford. Then upgrade the amplification and then the source/DAC. Eventually you'll have an outstanding system. Headphones: same thing, but get the best headphones you can afford.

Sennheiser headphones for me. I know it sounds like BS but I swear I can hear people in games before I can see them. It makes for great ambushing. I just use the onboard sound for the audio.

I use a Sennheiser GSX1000 little DAC/switcher for my speakers and headphones.
Speakers are currently a set of Logitech Z5500 [just the front 2 + sub though]
Headphones I bound around on occasion, currently Beyrdynamic MMX300s, Philips Fidelio X2s, or Sennheiser Game Ones

I plan to swap the speakers to a set of Vanatoo Transparent Zeroes at some point in the near-future: https://smile.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transparent-Powered-Speakers-Black/dp/B01N33WUJ9

I'm using a Schiit Modi 3 USB DAC to feed my Yamaha receiver through my PC. Lots better than the Behringer UFO202 I was using. Still have my AR3a antique speakers and my Stax headphones.

Back