• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does it mean (OC), will this RAM not work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Howdy! I have this motherboard:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-A/specifications/

Am looking to replace my Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 ->>> G.Skill 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Ripjaws V for Intel CL16.

However the motherboard info says this:
"4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 4400(O.C)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory"

I don't understand what the "O.C" part means. Also I don't see 3600 mHZ memory on there. Does that mean it won't support it? Does it only support memory if its OC'd to those speeds marked as OC? And not stock at those speeds? I'm not sure if I need to purchase a new motherboard or not...

OC means that everything above the official chipset or memory controller specification is overclocking. For example, if your CPU has an official memory clock of DDR4-3200 (Ryzen 3000) then anything above DDR4-3200 will be marked as OC so not guaranteed. It will probably work but the manufacturer may say it's not supported and won't help in case of any problems.

If your motherboard has a max clock up to DDR4-4400 (no matter if marked as OC or not) then it will work up to at least DDR4-4400 but with some specific memory modules like for example 2x8GB but not 2x32GB. It will also support all frequencies below the said DDR4-4400 so also DDR4-3600 will be supported.

If you have Ryzen 1000-2000 then memory may run at ~DDR4-3200. Above that is not always working. If you have Ryzen 3000 CPU then it may work higher like DDR4-3600 but not always higher.

I don't understand what the "O.C" part means. Also I don't see 3600 mHZ memory on there. Does that mean it won't support it? Does it only support memory if its OC'd to those speeds marked as OC? And not stock at those speeds? I'm not sure if I need to purchase a new motherboard or not...
It's fancy marketing talk for "we ran it so you should be able to but we won't guarantee it" Basically as long as you stick to the memory QVL list you will most likely be able to run those speeds.

That said, I rarely use ram listed on the QVL and if I did it was pure coincidence but I can't think of a time where I had a problem with ram not working with a motherboard. I generally run Intel and from what I understand AMD has more of an issue with that. I'm sure some AMD folks will chime in here on that topic soon.

What woomack said.:)

Please note however, just because you buy sticks on the QVL list, doesn't mean you'll be able to run them there. This isn't a solo but a duet with the IMC. If you have dont have a good IMC on the CPU and the right sticks, you may not reach those listed speeds.

Worth reiterating is that Intel is much more compatible with RAM than AMD is. Where intel will work with a potato, for ease of use AMD should be pulled off the QVL list as they are notoriously worse for compatibility.

Ah, thank you all! This is VERY helpful! I'm more confident now that the RAM will work :)

Back