• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened to all the motherboard brands???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bypolar1

Back in the day we had: starting around Year 2003
The Old:
Abit
Albatron
Aopen
Arima
Chaintech
DFI
Jaton
Soltek
Leadtek
Matsonic
Mercury
Pine
Shuttle
Fic
Epox
Iwill
PCchips
Soyo
The Inbetween:
BFG
XFX
Sapphire
Jetway
The Current:
Asus
Asrock
Biostar
MSI
Evga
Gigabyte
Intel
Foxconn
ECS
Zotac

I am thinking desktop applications.

Did I miss any??

Last edited:
I miss my I-WILL DH800. :(

Never could afford a DFI, but I always wanted one of the Pentium 4/Core2 boards they made. I also had two Abit boards (AW9D-Max and IP35-Pro). Even though I wasn't impressed by their support, they had good hardware.

EDIT: Oh man and my Soyo Dragon. My first overclocking board. ;__;

The boards I have not owned from the list:
Iwill
Arima
Masonic
Mecury
PCchips
Jaton
Sapphire

The boards I had the most of socket 462:
DFI
Epox
Soltek
The boards I used the least:
I had one Leadtek deluxe Limited "Great Board"
and one Pine technologys NF2 "had 0 overclocking features"

I really miss shuttle spacewalker boards. They were my favorite brand back in the day I had my 100FSB Tbird up to ~156before the end of that era. Abit was another favorite. In fact I still have a BP-6 with dual celly 233s sitting in my storage. Ah the good ole days.

The 2 most expensive boards where the leadtek limited and a Gigabyte 7NNXP.

The leadtek was 279.00 ordered from the UK before they hit the states.
The Gigabyte NF2 7NNXP with 4 dimm slots was 359.00.

Needless to say I do not have the funds these days to buy $300.00 + Motherboards even though there are plenty on the market.

Money still talks. Depending on the tier of the motherboard manufactured; times got "really" tough and most of these companies only swapped "internal" focus to RE-focus on their external products.

Code:
Abit = Abit experienced serious financial problems.  
Albatron = moved back to the touch-screen and industrial business. 
Aopen = moved heavily into the digital signage and other industrial divisions. 
Chaintech = moved to the flash NAND business. 
DFI = moved back to the imbedded and industrial business. 
Soltek = moved to focus on SFF cases/boards like their Qbic series and other gadgets like media players.
Leadtek = moved to multimedia video protocol and integrated communication technology for imaging and monitoring services.
Matsonic = found nothing definitive.
Mercury = Kobian which has the Mercury computer components division which has Usb drives, Optical drives etc. 
Shuttle = moved to the high performance SFF desktop market. 
Fic = moved to focus on "GRM" Green Rugged and Mobile. 
Epox = new company named Supox apparently no products in USA. Not sure where available. 
Iwill = Had no clue the consumer motherboard business would require so many resouces and hand holding. 
PCchips = moved into the imbedded industry but supposedly they did make an H55 chipset board not sold in USA. 
Soyo = moved into the plastics business.

As allway Rgone, steller post.

That is a aspect I was looking fore.

Code:
Iwill = Had no clue the consumer motherboard business would require so many resouces and hand holding.

This is the bread and butter of the "enthusiast Mainboard market" & DFI gave it a go for Sure.

The best tech support I ever experienced was from Gigabyte on the GA_7NNXP NF2 Product. The Only 4 dimm socketed NF2 board I know of,I had a personal tech that worked with me personally for 3 months to solve running 4 dimms on that chipset to no avail.I can not imagine the resources they attributed to that dilemma.

Don't forget Supermicro and Tyan for the Xeon/Opteron crowd.

Man, I used to swear by FIC boards back in the Socket 370 days...

Yep, socket 370 was a bit before my time but the shop I work at still has a Tyan workstation running a socket 939 Athlon 4000+ I have been there for 6 years and the Tyan was before me.This next week we are going to retire the old girl.

As allway Rgone, steller post.

That is a aspect I was looking fore.

Code:

This is the bread and butter of the "enthusiast Mainboard market" & DFI gave it a go for Sure.

The best tech support I ever experienced was from Gigabyte on the GA_7NNXP NF2 Product. The Only 4 dimm socketed NF2 board I know of,I had a personal tech that worked with me personally for 3 months to solve running 4 dimms on that chipset to no avail.I can not imagine the resources they attributed to that dilemma.

Thanks man. I try to do my homework. Having had a minor association with a motherboard manufacturer, my look inside gives a little more knowledge than I could have had otherwise.

IF we were as truthful as possible, this statement could be made for all those companies listed as "gone".
Code:

It appears the tier at which you produce motherboards, makes a giant difference in how your motherboard division prospers. Perhaps again that age old adage that size does matter. Price of nearly anything gets better as your tier in the industry rises.

Then the consumer is an odd bird. Time and time again, they state that they would pay more if the product had X features and was built to be bulletproof. In actual practice, the consumer seldom really coughs up that extra. The "majority" still buy based on pricing.

That puts many consumer motherboard makers into "looking for a niche" mode. DFI came on the scene with a motherboard that allowed many tweaks that were originally done with a soldering iron. There they made their niche home. As other companies jumped on the bandwagon with a greater tier rating, survival thru profits became key.

None of those motherboard companies have ever had all their "eggs in one basket", they all had their hands in many other electronic arenas. Maybe not in a "brand recognizable" look but they were not tied to only a single product.

When the markets and profits move so too do the companies in the electro-technical manufacturing enterprise. So when the requirement for so many resouces and hand holding exceed the ability to profit in a manufacturing area, the manufacturer has to retool its' thinking and market.

IF it costs more to compete than there are profits to be made; for whatever reason, then it is time to do something else for sure.

Gets down off soap box and you are now returned to your regularly scheduled programming. RGone...ster. :fight:

The ones I miss the most are Shuttle (my first) and DFI (my favorite board of all time). Also had Chaintech, Abit, Epox, Jetway, PCchips, Soltek, and Soyo boards.

Back