• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Heatsink should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrFroho

Hi, I'm new to these forums and new to anything heatsink. I have recently just bought a new computer which will be arriving tomorrow and I got an i7 960

Details: CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960
Link

Putting it on a EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366 Intel Mobo. Link

What I want to ask is basically how do I know what kind of Heatsink matches with my CPU? When looking for a Heatsink, what specs MUST match up in order for it to work. And if someone can link me a good but easy to install heatsink for my new computer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi and :welcome: to OCF.

A good cooler needs some work for installation, so, you will need remove the components if your case doesn't have space for install the cooler without remove it.

What budget do you have? I can suggest you a Hyper 212+ for ~$30 that gives you good temps for lower price, or Thermalright Silver Arrow or Noctua NH-D14 that performs much better that any other air cooler in the market, but for a high price (~$89). A mid cooler that performs very good is the Thermalright Archon or Venomous X.

Hi Saint19, thank you very much for the speedy response!

Ok so my budget is lets say ~50, and my key requirements are ease of installation (preferably has thermal paste already attached) as well as being quiet yet powerful.

The ones Ive watched videos on were stock i7 ones where u just push the 4 buttons and it locks in which seemed very simple, but I dont know if they were any good.

And heres my tower if that helps you see how much space I have, I'm not sure.

Thank you very much for your help thus far :)

EDIT: I should also mention that this is only for overclocking my i7 960 from 3.2GHz to 4.0GHz, which from what I understand isn't such a big leap, so perhaps I dont need something that amazingly powerful. Saving money is always a plus :)

:welcome: to OCF

To get a custom cooler for your cpu you need to look at the processor socket. The i7 960 is a LGA 1366 cpu socket so you need a LGA 1366 cooler. A lot of coolers are multi-platform and can be used on a variety of cpu sockets and if you chose a universal socket cooler make sure LGA 1366 is a compatible platform.

When looking at coolers the only spec that MUST match up in order for it to work is the cpu socket, but the world of cooling is a vast and diverse one so there are a lot of things to be considered when picking out a cooler that is right for you.

When it comes to cooling a general rule of thumb is going to be "Performance Vs. Noise". What this means is basically high performer coolers generally give you hearing loss while the quieter coolers only yield mediocre performance. I haven't found a high performing cooler that is also quiet and easy to install yet, if one exists.

When evaluating various heatsink and fan coolers here are the specs to consider:

[1] What is the CFM (cubic feet per minute) of the fan?** This is the amount of air (measured in cubic feet) that the fan can push in a single minute. CFM is directly proportionate to dBA (noise level) so higher CFM means more noise.

[2] What is the static pressure (the ability of the fan to push air around obstacles) of the fan?** A lot of heatsinks use aluminums fins and you want a fan to have a decent static pressure so it can push a greater volume of air through those fins. A lot of websites won't mention the static pressure of the included fan with the heatsink so you might have to do some independent research on the fan itself. Nmb-mat panaflos are pretty damn good.

[3] What is the dBA of the fan?** This is the noise level and 19-35 dBA is generally quiet. Higher performing coolers will have higher dBA.

[4] What is the height of the heatsink? Some of the higher performers are some pretty big puppies (i.e. the megahalem) so always make sure you have the needed clearance inside your case before purchasing any heatsink and fan. If needed refer to your case manual (or lookup your case online) to see how much space you have to play with inside your case for when you install your cooler.

**Some heatsinks can be purchased without an included fan giving you more freedom of choice to find a fan you like to use with the heatsink. Even if you find a heatsink with a design you like and it is made out of good material, but the included fan is crap this is fine as well. Just find a better fan with matching dimensions and when you install the heatsink swap out the crap included fan with the better fan you chose.

Now for installation.

Some coolers hook right onto the nodes on the cpu retension bracket on your motherboard (the easier to install ones) and others require a bolt through system. A bolt through system is when you have to completely disassemble your computer, remove your motherboard from the case, and more than likely swap out the cpu retension bracket/heatsink mount plates on your motherboard. The majority of high performing coolers I have seen use a bolt through system.

Say you find one that is quiet, but it doesn't offer a lot of performance. Does the performance yielded justify or balance out the noise level? Or maybe you find one which offers good performance and it's quiet, but it requires a bolt through system. Is this worth it to you? On the other hand you might find one that offers satisfactory performance and is easy to install, but it's loud as sin. That last example would be easy to remedy since all you have to do is find a better fan and swap it out with the included one as I mentioned before.

As you can see selecting a cooler may not be as easy as it would seem and you have to balance out these different factors to decide what will best fit your needs.

You have to be especially thorough in research and careful when making your selection if the cooler is going to be for overclocking. 3.2 to 4 GHz may not seem like it's a big leap, but trust me when I say it is a pretty hefty jump. You might get to 4 GHz with minimal effort (depending upon your motherboard/bios), but keeping it at 4 GHz stable is a whole different story...

I'm not too knowledgeable on overclocking Intels (I'm AMD), but if juicing one of those chips is anything similar to hyping up an AMD then you may have to play with the cpu voltage core (vcore) amongst other things. Messing with the vcore also means your processor pumping out more heat, so yea, you're going to want a good cooler. You might have to compromise on noise to get the performance you need to keep your processor stable when overclocked.

I can't really make any recommendations because I can't justify what performance you're looking for, how big or small you need the heatsink to be, what is acceptable noise to you and does it justify the performance. Only you can decide what's best for you in the end, but as long as you have a general idea of what to look for and do the appropriate research then you should be fine.

Before doing anything though I recommend cruising through the forums and looking up posts made by people whom are overclocking the i7 960 processor. Check into how much they're overclocking and what cooling systems they are using to keep their cpus stable. If they don't mention what their cooling solution in any of their posts then just ask them. Chances are they will be friendly and tell you their setup. This info should better help guide you into finding a cooling solution which will work for you.

Good luck and hope all works out well for you.

Thank you very much Blackheart for your contribution to this thread, I did read the whole wall of text and absorbed alot of valuable info :)

Just incase anyones wondering, I did decide to go for a CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler, which is an effective cooler for what im trying to do as well as very soft. I will go and look at other peoples threads who are clocking their i7 960, somehow I havnt even thought of doing that lol, thank you.

I can't say enough about the CM hyper 212, I recently used one for my 1155 build and have my 2500k running at 4.8ghz with a max temp of 60'c. For the price the, Hyper 212 can't be beat and honestly its all you will need unless you are doing some SERIOUS overclocking. FWIW it performed just as good as my Mugen II which was nearly twice the price and double the size, also the hyper 212 will perform close to if not better than the H50.

Plus it's a great looking HS.

Attachments

• SDC10196.JPG
    SDC10196.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 795
The Hyper 212 Plus is a good choice if you are restricted to under $30 for your cooling budget, but since you said a budget of $50 I would go with something that performs a bit better.

My suggestion is to go with the Cogage True Spirit for $31.99 and get a second set of fan clips for it for $2.99. Those do work with that heatsink, BTW. And that will let you mount a second fan if needed later down the road. You might not need them now, but since you will be ordering the heatsink it wouldn't hurt to get the extra set while placing the order.

I have personally tested both this heatsink and the Hyper 212 plus, and I find the TS tio be a better choice for LGA1366.

BTW, Cogage is a subsidiary company of Thermalright, who has been a supplier of premium cooling solutions for a long time.

Personally, I don't think too much of frosty tech's heatsink testing. Their testing leaves much to be desired, IMO and their results are directly at odds with some of the testing that I have done in real world testing on a working test system instead of some synthetic heater deally. And they don't test at a high enough heatload IMO either. Modern Intel and AMD quads and hex core procs can easily push past 200 watts heatload when overclocking.

Personally, I don't think too much of frosty tech's heatsink testing. Their testing leaves much to be desired, IMO and their results are directly at odds with some of the testing that I have done in real world testing on a working test system instead of some synthetic heater deally. And they don't test at a high enough heatload IMO either. Modern Intel and AMD quads and hex core procs can easily push past 200 watts heatload when overclocking.

I have to agree with mud on this one, I have never really found those reviews accurate nor honest. They seem to be quite outdated as well, thb real world benchies is what matters.

But I still stick with my earlier hyper 212/cogage true suggestion, for your uses its more than enough plus you can spend the money saved on additional upgrades.

Just for what it's worth(not saying I'm an expert or anything) I got the hyper 212+ and couldn't be happier. I have a case with a backplate cutout(CM HAF 912) but I still had to remove the mobo to get the oem parts out. But still it wasn't too hard(I take apart cars for a living though). The temps are great. Dropped load temps from about 55-60 to less than fifty with an hour of prime95. Like I said though I'm no expert but as fare as bang for the buck and performance I couldn't be happier.

Back