• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is preventing my GPU from working in this old PC ( PCIE x16 slot )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

hp pavilion p7-1219 Is the PC. I tried experimenting with a 7950 and a gtx 970. Neither would work and gave off a beep code that coincides with ( replace GPU ).

I was gonna give one of these cards to my buddy for his kid to use in this PC. Any idea whats blocking me? Obviously the PC is like 9+ years old. But the lane on the board says PCIE X 16

Have to plug in the power cables to the card.
That system should run either card. It will bottleneck them, but they should at least run.

I hooked everything up to a never before used ( but old ) Thermaltake TR2 600W. Since the stock PSU in the system had no PCI cable. The system works with This 600W PSU so long as the 7950 GPU is not hooked up, ( nor the gtx 970 ). Do you still think this PSU is the problem ? I don't think it's much older than the 7950 itself.

I ran across an old HP X79 system from that era that had a Legacy BIOS, not a UEFI BIOS, and would not run any modern UEFI GPU. HP did not offer any further BIOS updates to fix the issue.

I ran across an old HP X79 system from that era that had a Legacy BIOS, not a UEFI BIOS, and would not run any modern UEFI GPU. HP did not offer any further BIOS updates to fix the issue.

Damn. Well thanks for that tid bit. I guess to close this project out for sure, how do I know if the Motherboard has a Legacy BIOS.

And I guess that being the case, there would be no worth while semi modern GPU that would work with the Legacy bios?

To check for legacy or UEFI look in the bios. If it has an option for legacy or UEFI then it could be either, depending on the choice that was made at the time of the OS installation. If there is no choice for UEFI then it is legacy. You can also check the hard drive partitions with Windows Disk Manager. If there is an EFI partition then the system was configured for UEFI instead of legacy.

To check for legacy or UEFI look in the bios. If it has an option for legacy or UEFI then it could be either, depending on the choice that was made at the time of the OS installation. If there is no choice for UEFI then it is legacy. You can also check the hard drive partitions with Windows Disk Manager. If there is an EFI partition then the system was configured for UEFI instead of legacy.

Yes there is a 100 mb EFI partition and also in the BIOS I see this below as the only reference to UEFI or Legacy. The BIOS very basic.

UEFI Boot Sources
Windows Boot Manager
USB Hard Drive
USB Floppy/CD
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

Legacy Boot SOurces
USB Floppy/DC
Hard Drive
SATA0
Network Controller ( Realtek PXE B06 D00
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

The system is running in UEFI mode. That isn't the problem with the video cards, then.

Is there a more recent bios for this system offered by HP that might fix some quirk or even a corruption?

The system is running in UEFI mode. That isn't the problem with the video cards, then.

Is there a more recent bios for this system offered by HP that might fix some quirk or even a corruption?

I downloaded an update utility from HP and it says there are no updates available for it. I'm gonna take another poke at it tonight, I might try yet another PSU just because I can though I definitely don't expect anything to change.

I failed to find anything bios related when googling for it. But I'll do a deeper dive on that tonight

Last edited:

Judging from some really old threads I've dug up on the internet it's looking like this might be an intentional " You didn't buy it from us so it won't run " scheme hard coded into the bios. Nobody in those threads was obviously able to solve the issue but the way they described their problems were identical, one of them was even trying to install the same card as me but most were older cards like a quadro k600, or a gtx 660 for example.

Same board and chipset.

Product P7-1219

IPISB-CU Carmel2 motherboard. Bios versions available seem to be 7.15, 7.16, 7.17 ( current version on the one I have here )

Back