• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Kind of RAID Controller Do You Use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of RAID controller do you use?

• Total voters
im a super noob when it comes to RAID. can you guys tell me what it does and should i use it on my PC?

In my Naslite server I have an LSI raid card. My main computer and HTPC have onboard raid. I currently am not using the onboard but I will be getting another Seagate 250 for raid0 in my main rig and a couple Seagate 500s for raid5 in the HTPC.

Yatta :).

2xPromise pata raid cards (tx, sx, all old)
2xPromise ex8350 (on 1 of these I now have 8 raptors!!)
1xAreca arc-1230 (thats 12 ports but this company is the WORST)
1xp35 chipset raid (just did it for fun, thanks for the help tuskenraider!)

I love raid. Two things I want to say:

1) Promise has the best support and

2) Areca has the WORST support of any tech company. I have an email support request to Areca that I sent 22 times over a period of 6 months and they never responded :(. They don't answer the phone or return calls, its just a terrible company. I'd think I'd actually dedicate the time to sue them if I lived in the US! Wish I never bought the card but I really wanted 12 ports and now I am stuck with it. BTW, if you must buy areca, do not buy Areca cards from their Singapore distributor, those guys are a*shats.

Onboard controller. Also with two raptors in RAID 0. Only used for the OS, storage on removable drives.

Netcell-based PNY S-Cure 5x500GB RAID3

JMicron GRAID 2x160GB RAID0

ICH8R 2x160GB RAID0

VIA VT8237A-based controller 2x37GB RAID1

Also currently building a 16x1TB unRAID server using ICH8 and Silicon Image-based chipsets.

LSI Megaraid Sata 150-6 in my server, Nvidia Nforce4 bios raid on desktop.

besides various Intel Matrix

1x Areca arc-1210
1x Areca arc-1220
love these

2x Silicon Image Sil-3124
solid

i am supprised not to see more sil image and marvel as on-board raid options to vote for and areca is not listed?

Intel Matrix and Areca 1210, I voted for both :beer:

Yeah, what he said, no Areca ? I just put the second vote on other.

Last edited:
Back