• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What off the shelf cooling for Asus z87 and I5-4670 OC to 4.2g?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ejay123

Update. It's the K version. Sorry I left that out.

My last SSD went belly up last week.

New build arrived today.

Asus Sabertooth z87.
Intel i5-4670k.
2x GTX 550 1ghz ea in SLI. (reused from old rig)
4x4 16gb Corsair DDR3 1866.
Samsung 500GB SSD.
850w PSU.

I play simple games like starcraft 2, diablo 3, fallout games.

I'm wanting to get it to 4.2ghz or so, what is a good off the shelf water cooler for that amount of OC?

I was looking at the H series from Corsair.

Please share any link or OC guides with my build.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
For a 4.2Ghz clock, figure in the neighborhood of 1.15v, which isn't a high enough Vcore to warrant water cooling.

Look at the Coolermaster Glacier, which is a Swiftech H220 is disguise. Alternative is CM Eisberg. -using copper radiators & expandable is a "must"

Beyond that there are the "real" WC kits from XSPC , EK, Watercool, AquaComputer, ...

Corsair H series are not that fantastic and hardly bypass good Aircooling

+1 for not needing water at those clocks. A Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will easily handle that load.

the H100i beats out high end air, otherwise they are the same or worse, yep.

Something tells me he didn't get the K version and might have confused it with the K version. Lets hope to hear from the OP.

Thanks guys. How has can I take it? With a h100 and it be safe and stable?

This is what I ordered. Copied it from amazon.

Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670K
Intel (73)

Thank you all!

Depends on the CPU really... every one is different. ;)

But you should be good to 4.3-4.6Ghz really.

Should I buy a Coolermaster Glacier 240l?
Or the Coolmaster Neptune 280l?

Will one of them big fans even fit in my obsidian 800d?

Last edited:
Well, all advice here has told you that you do not NEED to. I take it you still want to? Go for it. :)

Well, all advice here has told you that you do not NEED to. I take it you still want to? Go for it. :)

Heck I'd settle for 4.4 oc.

So I only need a air cooler for that?

Is that what you were referring to?

Thanks earthdog

Heck I'd settle for 4.4 oc.

So I only need a air cooler for that?

Is that what you were referring to?

Thanks earthdog

A Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will easily handle that load.

the H100i beats out high end air, otherwise they are the same or worse, yep.

This pretty much sums it up as ED said. You might want to go with a H100i for 4.4Ghz as I am not sure if a 212 EVO will be sufficient enough.

Let's be real. His cpu is fine for the games he's playing as is. 4ghz can probably be done with stock clocks if he's lucky. 4.2ghz is really all that's needed for his games (doesn't really need any oc for those games frankly).

So I see this as a 'i want to overclock because I can' situation. In which case buy whatever cooling you think will suit your needs best. And however you wish to spend your money. Either keeping it cheap. Or stepping up a bit.

Let's be real. His cpu is fine for the games he's playing as is. 4ghz can probably be done with stock clocks if he's lucky. 4.2ghz is really all that's needed for his games (doesn't really need any oc for those games frankly).

So I see this as a 'i want to overclock because I can' situation. In which case buy whatever cooling you think will suit your needs best. And however you wish to spend your money. Either keeping it cheap. Or stepping up a bit.

Haha, sorry if I seem like a dumb ***, I have not made a computer since early 2010. I am very rusty, I did not stay with the times. I really do apologize if I was giving bad information. I was on my cellphone while between breaks, i could not read everything you guys asked.

I should have been clear, I plan on playing other games, but that Is all I play right now.

I want to be able to play fallout 4 in a year or so. (When it does come out)

Back