• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to set the setting in BIOS on a P5WD2 premium so I can install windows!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
postaldudeleo said:
My new 2000 buck system is assembled and it crashes during windows setup!

I have narrowed it down to something with my hard drive and the setting. On default bios, it crashes after windows finishes loading the drivers and the little wording says starting windows. Then i get an error on the blue screen of death.

How do i get the mobo to correctly set the 160 gb western digital hard drive so windows can format it and intall? I tried windows xp pro 32-bit and 64-bit version also.

Help? :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

you have you DVD/CD-ROM drive in the wrong port

Here is what I did, I only plugged in 1 SATA device(RAID array in my case). I unplugged all other SATA devices, and only had 1 ATA133 optical drive plugged into the Master IDE connector(Blue), and a floppy drive to load RAID drivers. Settings have to be exact, or it won't work.

I experienced alot of problems when trying to install XP aswell. I still have not gotten my PX-716SA to work along with my RAID-0 Raptors. It's like when I plug the PX716SA in the RAID will not show or vice versa!

Ok, i know my rig info hasn't been updated in a while but i just bought the following system:

P5ND2 SLI- Deluxe
Intel 830D
Hitachi 160gig SATA hard drive
NEC 3450

Don't need to know the rest....

Anyway, if you have flashed the bios, which i had to do to get dual core to work , after you update it you MUST power off completely, unplug it from the wall and clear the CMOS. then boot it back up and it just works... sounds crazy but i tried for 2 days to flash from stock to 0802 and once i did that trick, windows install never crashed and it has been stable for the last 3 days.

hope this helps....

Just got mine and I've had no problems with setting up hd's or dvd roms (without raid).
Have 1 raptor for windows on Ich thingy, then 2 200gb hds on ports 3 and 4 of the ich. 2 dvd roms on the blue ide connector, 3 ide hds on the red connectors. Everything works fine. Only thing is that I was wanting to get the red ide's to run a ide raid but cant find any options in bios. my old p4c800 e had raid ides, did they remove support for that? if so that really sucks :(

Just make sure you plug your CD/DVD drive into the blue IDE and not the red IDE port. Also, update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already done so. Took me 6 hours more than I would have liked to put my new system together over the weekend because of these two items. Now that it's running, I'm happy with it, though I probably won't but another ASUS board.

Back