• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was ASUS thinking???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I came across someone at [H]ardforum running a 9590 on the M5A 99FX Pro. I said that board really isn't cut out for that CPU ( running a socket temp in the low 80s)
He came back with this. Asus says it's supported

asus ***.JPG

Last edited:
I know and the post I linked the guy refuses to listen so he can burn it up for all I care.

Yea if he doesn't want to pay attention let him ruin his hardware. This mobo only has a 6x2 power phase doesn't it?

Ya it does but things like that aren't important I guess when it comes to moving stock. I mean look at this one I dug up for an example ASRock 970 PRO3 R2.0 4+1 phase board with no heatsinks. Support list Would you really want to run an 8 core on this board?

Lol I wouldn't trust it.

But you get these guys that don't know what they are getting into and just get parts that say that they will work then get all butthurt when they find out they bought garbage parts for what they are running.

Maybe I missed the bus, but with a good air cooler, I don't see this being much of an issue. Or are you referring to someone not knowing any better and letting the stock cooler scream on that chip? I have the same mobo, and ran an 8350 clocked at 4.7 ghz without going over any recommended thermal limits with a phanteks cooler. The board definitely has its limits with power though (anything higher than 4.8 tend to get unstable).

Maybe I missed the bus, but with a good air cooler, I don't see this being much of an issue. Or are you referring to someone not knowing any better and letting the stock cooler scream on that chip? I have the same mobo, and ran an 8350 clocked at 4.7 ghz without going over any recommended thermal limits with a phanteks cooler. The board definitely has its limits with power though (anything higher than 4.8 tend to get unstable).

The 9590 boosts to 5.0
And will have "default" voltages instead of our tweaked lowest possible voltages.
At stock they're getting at least 1.5V for vCore, which would decimate the M5A99X with any sort of cooling.

The whole thing...

...whole thing boils down to using the AMD 9xxx processors as AMD designed them to be used. The 8 core cpus will NEVER boost more than 4 cores to their highest stated speed unless certain parameters are met. AND then still only 4 cores of 8 when using FX-8xxx or 9xxx.

Last I checked the 9xxEVO board did not have the FX-9xxx cpus supported. Only the 9FX PRO board or the CHV and Sabertooth boards. Been a while but when I looked up that () about 'thermals' it meant to use water OR ultra high-performance air cooler. Most phanteks coolers are way ahead of even the most often recommended CM 212 EVO or Plus.

What most of us have to learn over time...is there are those that cannot nor will hear anything contrary to their understanding of something written. We see people post all the time saying...this is my overclock, what do you think? i don't give two or even three shetts what someone else thinks about my overclock. If it works, then I use it. If it does not work, then I study some more because the answer is out there somewhere on the net. Maybe not the answer I want to have but an answer at least 98% of the time. But is time and knowledge make that real knowledge that seals the deal.

I have gotten to the point over the course of this year that I read the posts. OPs almost always tip their intents by what they put in a first post. Do they have a clue? Is school going to have to go from session 101? Are they serious? Noting such in my own mind...I may let some of the others that have not answered so many posts, begin the trainging process. Maybe I chime in and maybe I don't. After all this is free gratis help. I surely enjoy helping those that want and can be helped...but there is little sense in trying to help one who has already made up their mind and really what they want is a 'rubber-stamping' of their condition. No help needed nor desired in that condition.

So cheer up "johan" you did your bit to help. Obviously no help required. Here those of us that do AMD AM3+ do our dead level best to speak to getting the very most WOW WFO performance out of our rigs and those of others that come along. But we are likely only speaking to less than 2% of those that pass thru here asking or talking about help. Every now and again we get a real RC Boyz candidate like "BlayLock" and "RayRay". These are the ones that truly want to know and the ones that will actually appreciate knowing the REAL DEAL.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzz:bang head:bump:

The 9590 boosts to 5.0
And will have "default" voltages instead of our tweaked lowest possible voltages.
At stock they're getting at least 1.5V for vCore, which would decimate the M5A99X with any sort of cooling.

Ah. Ignorance on my part. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just a bold example of what experienced builders and overclockers have know for sometime now and that is that the motherboard companies are not being completely honest about what their boards will handle. The inexperienced only look at the compatibility tables and if they see a CPU listed there they assume it will do the job. At the very least they should add a column in those tables for "Compatible but not Recommended".

Back