• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was your very first computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My 6th grade class got a TRS80 model 1 and introduced the class to BASIC. My father bought an Apple IIc some time after that.
He upgraded the RAM himself and got an external HDD (no idea what size but definitely small by todays standards).
We even had a dot matrix printer, geez that thing was loud.
Wow, that seems like a lifetime ago.

My dad's friend built me a system with the (then) brand new Core 2 Duo E4300 (the same one as in my sig), an ASUS P5B-VM, 1Gb of DDR2 800Mhz RAM, and an EVGA Geforce 7100GS 128Mb. Quite a good machine, until the motherboard went kaput.

I've worked with much older computers (I've had the chance to toy around with a Celeron 300a) than my first, but it's still my first. I'm a youngling, I know.

I believe we have a 64 and 128 with a color monitor sitting around here, I'll have to find it.

425654_498237513549559_1733074899_n_zpsd9e9e890.jpg

Was one of those stock dell towers from the early 2000s with the side like the gallons of milk, all punched in.

Was a horrible computer, spent $800 on that peice of crap

Never again, dell.

-snip-

Was one of those stock dell towers from the early 2000s with the side like the gallons of milk, all punched in.

Was a horrible computer, spent $800 on that peice of crap

Never again, dell.
I can say for certain Dells' are not the best or most powerful computers around, but the older ones sure are rugged as hell.
My old Optiplex GX240 slim managed 95C+ on the CPU for the majority of 6 months I had to use it, didn't even hiccup once (aside from when the CPU fan died and ran a whole day at 115C+).

Commodore VIC-20
C64
Amiga 500
Amiga 500+ with CDTV
Amiga 1200 68030 CPU/MMU/FPU @ 33Mhz

Used the Amiga 1200 until I got my first PC that was a Cryix mII 166Mhz. If I had my way PC's would have died and we would all be using Amigas now!

Kmart's Blue Light computer was the family's first.

. Intel Celeron 633 MHz
. Windows 98 SE
. 32 MB RAM upgraded to 96 MB
. 7.5 GB HDD
. CD-ROM
. 56K Modem

I remember having to plug the cable modem into the tower using a
USB cord because the computer didn't have an Ethernet port lol.

We trashed after it was destroyed by a hacker (didn't know how to nuke
the OS way back then).

My first computer I bought for myself was an Alienware system in 2004.
Cost $3000 and was a pile of ****. Returned it in 10 days and forfeited $450
in restocking fees. Never again :mad:

lol first computer I owned or used?
owned well....
my 1100t computer with hex cores 16gb ram
used? (dad's computer)
Commodore Amiga

Tandy 1000SL then "upgraded" to an IBM clone; both at 8MHz and 640KB RAM. Upgraded the Tandy to dual floppies and blew my father's mind haha! In retrospect the Tandy was definately a better computer; it shipped with it's version of a GUI, DeskMate. Anyone remember that?

Back