• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what will this psu run? in terms of a graphic card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

well its powering my system with a 6600agp right now heres what i got.

tt 735

1 120mm fan
2 80mm 1 1 is a led the outher is black
1 logisys temp display
1 temp display and 2 channel fan controler
1 plextor cdrom
1 maxtor 60gig ide
gigabyte k8ns mobo
sempron 64 2500+

400w codegen psu. 14amp on the 12volt.

so could this psu handdle a 6600gt? is so how about a 6800le GS or GT?

Hmmm, you might be pushing your luck with a 6600GT and that 400w codegen. No way will it handle a 6800GT. Your best bet would be a psu with a min of 18 amps on the 12v rail.

Id go with the forton, and for 100 dollars you could get a 1600 I believe which supports newer things and will be supported longer then the 6800 since it is a tad bit older. Thats just my two cents though.

i would like to stay nvidia since i run a nforce chip set. im going with the forton sinc eits a good psu and a great price.

in terms of proformance now what is better for bolth stock and oc that apollo 6800 or the x1600. its going in a sockewt 754 system so the next upgrade will be soon as DX10 comes out.

i thought x1600's suck? well if i get one i was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161003

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102665R

also open box cards at new egg are new cards that are oem right? just missing the cables box and manuals?

fireandice said:
i thought x1600's suck? well if i get one i was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161003

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102665R

also open box cards at new egg are new cards that are oem right? just missing the cables box and manuals?
The x1600 is a peice of s**t and I wouldn't even recommend it to my own grandmother. If you are going ATi in that price range, and are staying agp, the best card is the x850pro for 119 at ati.com.

Also open box cards can be refurbished or RMAed cards, OEM is something completely different. When you buy an open box card you are getting what someone else returned so you have about a 50/50 chance of getting software and cables with the card.

Kinda off topic but I might as well answer what you asked regardless of what subforum its on.

i would like to order it from the egg. maybe a X800GTO or somthing. but its gotta be better than a 6600 AGP. not hard to beat there.

ok find me a card that will play well with my psu im ordering and is agp and wont have any probs working with my nforce3 250gb chipset. im stuck and i cant find one. heres the catch. under $100 is great but try to make it as cool to $100 as you can.

My suggestion would be the Silverstone 360W. Low end Silverstone/Enhance > low end FSP. Wait, did I just type that? :p ;)

ok why tho? i never had a silverstone psu. is that a good psu for my rig and maybe a X800pro gto whatever the hell all i know is therea about 45 versions of the same card or maybe a x850gt somthing.

The Silverstone has enough power for the x850. It's not a watt monster, but then again neither is that FSP (which btw is a 350W model). In terms of build quality, it's Enhance built, who has been impressing me lately more than FSP.

your name is blue and i trust what you say. silverstone it is.

will my psu i posted run a 7600gs? got those are ugly cards but i figure i'll use the evga step up soon and im limited to agp till then but i hope its much better than my 6600 i got now what it should be.

I think I'd still stick with the Silverstone. That Sparkle unit is the same basic unit as the AX400, not sure who even makes the MSI at the moment, and the rest aren't quite Enhance level of build quality.

ok im going with the silver stone.

i was unshure of it because of the 10 am 12 volt rail and the 15 amp. so that means 1 rail say the 10 amp should have my stuff on it and the 18amp 12 volt used for my graphic card? sorry i dont know ahythign about dual rail psu's is that how it is whare you can pic what parts get what rail?

also whats the Enhance level? thanks for the help.

The video card will be on the 10A rail with the drives. Should power the 6800GS.

Enhance build quality I would say is dead even with Fortron at the moment... it seems lately they are using better components on the low end than Fortron is at the moment.

ok i looked on the silverstone website at the psu and the inside pics look very well made compares to mine.

probly why my cheap psu with the 14amps on the 12 volt wont run my stuff lol 400wats 14amps and all the parts it was made with is crap.

thanks alot man for the help.

get a decent 400w antec for like 60us it will power 6800gt easily. im seriously against cheap psu because i had a generic 600W psu and it blew up my computer. like actually blew the mobo and fried the videocard. a 350W antec smartpower is better then a cheapo 450W psu

Back