• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a no hassale am2+ board for a Phenon II 920 x4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

Bought this processor awhile ago for like a 100. Building a budget gaming system for my bro for xmas.

Ive got a 5770 on the way and already have a Phenom 920 x4. Need good pcie bandwith and support for the new Phenom II(s) out of the box would be nice.

Every motherboard I've had has had some weakness or quirk. It may have been minor but it was there so if there is a motherboard that is "no hassle" I'm not sure. So I'm not sure there is a good answer to your question.

What size case are you installing it in? Micro, mid, full tower? Are you using DDR2 or DDR3 memory? Does the PSU have a P8 axillary 12V power connector or only a P4? Do you intend to do heavy overclocking of the PSU?

What is your price range? The AMD 785 North Bridge/710 South bridge chip set boards look appealing to me as they are moderately priced and have the ability to unlock cores on the P2 X2s and X3s.

One good tool in all this is the "specifications" tab in NewEgg and the "customer reviews" tab. The customer reviews help to give you an idea of what a board's strength and weakness are but you must keep in mind some of those who write reviews are idiots. Even so, you can spot trends and patterns with boards by reading those reviews. Be wary of boards that are so new there aren't very many reviews to go by. Also, don't by a board that is too dated and out of production. You want to get something recent enough so that bios updates are still being written for it. Check the CPU compatibility list for a board on the mfg. web site to see if it supports your CPU.

Last edited:
$100 is a fantastic price for that CPU!

We'll need a few other pieces of info, as trents has already pointed out. You're constrained to DDR2 (AM2+) motherboards with the 920; DDR3 and AM3 are an impossibility with this CPU. There are plenty of good AM2+ boards out there, though.

I'm happy with my DFI 790FXB-M2RSH, and it's $110 shipped from Newegg ($55 cheaper than when I bought mine...). It overclocks well enough and it's CrossfireX capable.

If you want to spend a bit less, some of the Biostar 790GX motherboards are also pretty highly recommended by folks.

i second that for the biostar 790gx boards. Built two using the 790gx 128m boards. I didn't have any problems. My only single quirk is that it didn't come with mosfet heatsinks.

Back