• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's good for memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just enter the Ram timings in the Bios by hand, and see how it goes, then come back on here if you need any help!

AJ.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah sorry for the triple post but meh.

I pulled the trigger on those G.Skill Ripjaws from the egg. :thup:
Will post when they arrive! ^_^

Thanks a bunch guys!!

Woot, glad it's going well! Just make sure to run Memtest on the sticks to make sure no errors.

Hey Silver,

You need to enter by hand in the Bios, The TRAS is 24, also TRC should be 33 you will need to enter these as well!! ;) :thup:

Also when you have entered those just try that out, then try changing the COMMAND RATE to 1T, and see how that will work!! :shrug:

AJ.

I've waited until now so as not to hijack Silver's thread, but I have a question concerning 8GB vs 16GB. Not long ago Tom's Hardware posted an article speculating an SSD may last longer with 16GB since the extra memory would reduce the number of times the SSD would be accessed. Before the article came out, I bought 16GB RAM because I'd been thinking along the same lines. I have no idea if the "theory" is valid or not, but a few extra bucks spent for additional "insurance" seems logical; what I really want is to be able to buy a new SSD when it's an option and not an "emergency". I've followed Tech Report's ongoing "longevity" tests, but the amount of RAM was not, that I saw, specifically addressed.

More RAM will make your SSD live longer but only if you are not using all the RAM.
For instance:
- when your PC is using 8GB RAM and you buy 16GB then it won't make any difference for your SSD as it won't use page file
- when your PC is using 10GB but you have 8GB RAM then additional 2GB will be written to the SSD as page file = will waste SSD cells over time as it will use drive's space as missing "RAM"

Each year RAM capacity is raising and software needs more memory so when you bought 16GB then for sure in some time you may need it.
Some new games are already using more than 8GB. Even older like Civilization V on large map could use ( with system ) up to 9GB.

Hey Silver,

You need to enter by hand in the Bios, The TRAS is 24, also TRC should be 33 you will need to enter these as well!! ;) :thup:

Also when you have entered those just try that out, then try changing the COMMAND RATE to 1T, and see how that will work!! :shrug:

AJ.

I'll do that now. :)

I've waited until now so as not to hijack Silver's thread, but I have a question concerning 8GB vs 16GB. Not long ago Tom's Hardware posted an article speculating an SSD may last longer with 16GB since the extra memory would reduce the number of times the SSD would be accessed. Before the article came out, I bought 16GB RAM because I'd been thinking along the same lines. I have no idea if the "theory" is valid or not, but a few extra bucks spent for additional "insurance" seems logical; what I really want is to be able to buy a new SSD when it's an option and not an "emergency". I've followed Tech Report's ongoing "longevity" tests, but the amount of RAM was not, that I saw, specifically addressed.

Pfft. Please.
Have you seen the # of thread's I've jacked in the past? :chair:
It's about time someone did it back! :rofl:

Good question though.
Something to consider later one when I pick up and SSD.

So thanks!

Some new games are already using more than 8GB. Even older like Civilization V on large map could use ( with system ) up to 9GB.

How does Civilization V use 9GB the hole game on the HDD is only 8GB

These Are the Civilization V System Requirements

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Hey Silver,

AJ.

Set those timings, 9-9-9-24 33 TRC 1 Command Rate
Passed memtest, but failed if I forced SMP mode in memtest..
Should I be worried?
@wingman99

Well, if you have a huge map, it'll use up the RAM, then spill over into the lovely page file.
Doesn't matter if the game is only 8Gb, it can use up more RAM than that.

@wingman99

Well, if you have a huge map, it'll use up the RAM, then spill over into the lovely page file.
Doesn't matter if the game is only 8Gb, it can use up more RAM than that.

Page file is only used when the application you are using runs out of ram.

Making a statement that the game uses more than 8GB I need to see proof what is the available amount, that will shows the truth, not the cached amount.

With enough memory you can cache almost everything you do, however if you don't return to the same program's you used before turning off the PC that would be a waste of memory.

Last edited:
How does Civilization V use 9GB the hole game on the HDD is only 8GB

These Are the Civilization V System Requirements

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

9GB with system. I saw about 7GB game + 2GB system = ~9GB after couple of hours on the largest map. It was the 1st game that I saw which passed 8GB on my PC. Game itself is creating temp files etc so it's possible to use more RAM than game has.

Back