• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's in store for i7 920 & i7 940?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sprocket7

Registered
Have I got my info right here? If intel is planning to discontinue these chips soon after the i5 comes out (already happened) and Taiwanese boardmakers are already prepping for what's to follow it does appear that something is expected pretty soon. Will this be reflected in a decent price drop for the rapid and popular i7 920DO? And will intel's future focus be towards still faster and more expensive 1366-based chips?

Meanwhile I'm furiously polishing my crystal ball for Christmas . . . :santa2:

Have I got my info right here? If intel is planning to discontinue these chips soon after the i5 comes out (already happened) and Taiwanese boardmakers are already prepping for what's to follow it does appear that something is expected pretty soon. Will this be reflected in a decent price drop for the rapid and popular i7 920DO? And will intel's future focus be towards still faster and more expensive 1366-based chips?

Meanwhile I'm furiously polishing my crystal ball for Christmas . . . :santa2:

When I picked up my i7 920 D0 they guy at microcenter said intel was dropping all but the extreme 1366 i7 and preparing for the launch of i9 next year.

I don't see them dropping 920 prices just yet. Lowering 920 now will kill i5 & i7 860/870 sales as it will directly compete with them.

why in the world would the drop, quite possibly, their best selling chip in a really long time (the 920) it doesn't make sense. not that I dont believe you, I just think intel is stupid for doing it. especially with it only having been out for a year.

At one point earlier this year Intel said it would discontinue the 920 and 940 when the 1156's sockets were released. Then I read recently that they did not plan on eliminating them at all.

Basically I don't think anyone really knows at this point. But, I bought my 920 last month just in case.

From a marketing standpoint I don't see how they can continue the i860 p55 and the i920 x58. They are nearly identical in cost and from a product standpoint totally overlap each other.

I guess we'll see...

But, no matter what happens the 920 for $199 at Microcenter is an incredible price for a great cpu!

All of the intel roadmaps have the i920 available into 2010 along with i7860.
extreme 1366 only.
performance i960 for 1366, and i870 for 1156.
high end mainstream i920 for 1366, and i860 for 1156.

At some point they will drop i920, but only if put a better chip in same price slot. Like 960 replacing 950 in perf. slot. Would not make sense to do otherwise, just be shooting themselves in the foot.

intel-roadmap-09-10.jpg

I just realised that Intel didn't put a Gulftown in the Performance sector. That means there will be no non-extreme version? :( damn that sucks. I don't want to dish out 1000 on that.

Do they even sell 940's and 950's? I would guess for every 100 920's purchased, there may be five-ten 940 and 950 sales. Granted, most of Intel's sales aren't coming from people like us, but even the OEM purchases, most people don't go for the most expensive.

When Microcenter by me started selling the I7 line, they had two 975's and guess what..they still have two 975's. :)

My dreams were crushed when i found out there would be no 32nm i7 940 for the price of a current 920. Bummer. guess I'll just hunt down a golden 920 DO and be happy.

Back