• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats it worth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobMonty1987

Registered
Hi. I've had a Dimension 9200 laying around and want to get rid of it. I'd like to make some cash out of it, so I've installed a few upgrades. I'd like a few opinions on a sell-price. Anyway here is the specs:

Motherboard:
Dell 0CT017 w/ Intel P965/G965 chipset w/ updated bios (stock)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz (OCed to 2.8ghz) 4mb cache

RAM:
Samsung PC2-6400 @ 800mhz (4 x 2gb / 8gb total)
I can also throw in Kingston PC2-4300 @ 533mhz (4 x 1gb / 4gb total) on the side (although mobo has only 4 DDR2 slots)

Hard Drives:
OCZ Vertex 2 90gb SSD
...also a Seagate Barricuda 7200rpm 160gb

Graphics:
geForce 7950 GT

Optical:
DVD+-RW

Monitor:
Dell 1703FP LCD Display

Other hardware:
Like-new Logitech wireless KB & mouse (single dongle)
Wireless headset (audio only) and receiver (has mic)
Installed 3 more fans: 1 exhaust, 1 in front, and 1 bottom intake.

Operating System:
Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (w/ lifetime license) installed on SSD for speed. Comes with Win7 installation/repair disc. Disc has ALL versions of Win7 (Starter to Ultimate) and in either 32 or 64bit.

Notes:
Comes with MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (w/ lifetime license) and install-disc included.
Comes with file-modded google chrome that has insane speed without any limitations (except a disabled history).

I payed $0.00 to create this PC, so anything is profit, but I am perfectly fine waiting for the most bang for the buck. The goal is to be able to significantly contribute to my fund to build a custom PC which will most likely be in the range of $1500. Even though unexperienced users might not appreciate things like the SSD and RAM, it be great if you guys can keep in mind that I am trying to market it for both the techie and newbie crowds, so I didn't want to pour a ton of $ into it, but at the same time I don't want it to be too unappealing to be an advanced users backup PC. Thanks for your input guys.

You could probably sell it local on craigslist for maybe $300, maybe.

I would personally sell it for like $250 and sell the SSD separately as most people looking to buy outdated computers wont even know what it is really and wont understand its value. Sell the SSD for $120 and the computer for $250.

Just my opinion though, I could be wrong. Its worth what someone will pay really :)

Go with doz suggestion. The SSD wouldn't appeal to people buying a computer like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will keep the SSD and sell the rest as-is.

Just did some browsing for a new PC. I'd like something to support todays games and to function as my main PC for the next couple years. I don't need anything pristine, but I am shooting for mid-high end. I have done upgrades here and there, but I've never built from scratch yet, so naturally I am looking for the next-best thing: a custom order from e-bay :p

Here is a link. If anyone has an opinion I'd appreciate it. A few notes:

- I'm not worried about the HD at all. Going to replace it with dual 120gb OCZ Vertex 3s.
- I am pretty clueless as to which PSU I should get.
- Should I go with dual vcards or invest in a better single card?
- I am planning to OC but I'm also a cheap bastage, so the i5 2500k is a must. The mobo also needs to have voltage options, SATA 6gb/s, and support DDR3 and SLI.
- I am mainly looking into liquid cooling to counter the dual cards generating heat, but if a single vcard is suggested, I might go with air.

Any improvements to budget/performance/compatibility would be appreciated as long as the price is kept under $1500. (You can tweak the configuration if you scroll down.) And of course, I'd like to know if the price is fair.

Thanks guys

EDIT:
I recently pushed the Dimension 9200 to 3.2, so another estimate for pricing on that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will keep the SSD and sell the rest as-is.

Just did some browsing for a new PC. I'd like something to support todays games and to function as my main PC for the next couple years. I don't need anything pristine, but I am shooting for mid-high end. I have done upgrades here and there, but I've never built from scratch yet, so naturally I am looking for the next-best thing: a custom order from e-bay :p

Here is a link. If anyone has an opinion I'd appreciate it. A few notes:

- I'm not worried about the HD at all. Going to replace it with dual 120gb OCZ Vertex 3s.
- I am pretty clueless as to which PSU I should get.
- Should I go with dual vcards or invest in a better single card?
- I am planning to OC but I'm also a cheap bastage, so the i5 2500k is a must. The mobo also needs to have voltage options, SATA 6gb/s, and support DDR3 and SLI.
- I am mainly looking into liquid cooling to counter the dual cards generating heat, but if a single vcard is suggested, I might go with air.

Any improvements to budget/performance/compatibility would be appreciated as long as the price is kept under $1500. (You can tweak the configuration if you scroll down.) And of course, I'd like to know if the price is fair.

Thanks guys

EDIT:
I recently pushed the Dimension 9200 to 3.2, so another estimate for pricing on that would be appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of games do you want to play? and just so you know, you lose performance by adding another card. Some games/Programs will take advantage of having two cards while others won't. So if you were thinking two 1GB cards in Crossfire/Sli I would opt for a good 2GB card instead.

Ok so 1 card it is then. I did not think of that. Always had single cards and never saw it mentioned anywhere. It's not so much the games I need to play as much as it is the work I'll be doing. I do alot of 3d game models for both work and for a personal PC-game project. I noticed that when I do some of the higher-poly modeling, the framerate can get a bit choppy (while modeling, not playing). And forget about recording on-screen (which I do need to do constantly). Video driver crashes every time (yes, its up to date). My current card is a nVidia geForce 7950 GT. I was considering getting a 2nd one for a new build but I am unsure as to whether it is SLI supported, or if it was even worth it to save $.

My plan is to either save this Dimension 9200 and make it work or build anew. To do this, I planned on buying some parts that I could also use later on for a new PC. I do realize that this computer could never come close to a custom build, but it is cheaper.

Current PC:
- Stock DXP061 mobo (SATA2, no SLI, locked bios)
- E6600 @ 3.2ghz (Clockgen & voltage pin-mod)
- 1x OCZ Vertex 2 90gb
- 4 x 2gb 800mhz DDR2
- nVidia geForce 7950 GT

Upgrades in mind:
- QX6700 (with OC)
- A 2nd OCZ Vertex 2 90gb (to RAID w/ other)
- 4 x 2gb 1066mhz DDR2
- geForce GTX 480

I guess my main question is, can it be saved? Am I wasting my time/money trying to squeeze some more performance out of this Dell, or is it a good idea to try to improve it as opposed to dropping $$$ on a new PC? Is the DDR3 and SATA3 SSDs and SLI capability and unlocked bios of a new mobo & setup that much more worth it, or should I go with my upgrade plan? Thanks.

Update

Ok, I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't been able to sell my machine, but I have added some hardware to it recently and I'd like a 2nd opinion.

-Current build-
Model: Dell Dimension 9200 (xps410) desktop
OS: Windows 7 x64 (Includes install/repair disk for any W7 package in both x86 and x64)
CPU: Intel Core Duo E6600 2.4Ghz (OCed to 3Ghz; 30c-idle/45c-load)
RAM: 4x2GB (8GB total) DDR2-800Mhz/PC2-6400
Graphics: GeForce 7950 GT-KO (OCed to 630/1600Mhz; 60c-idle/75c-load)

-Drives-
Main: 90GB OCZ Vertex 2 w/ OS installed (W7 optimized for SSD)
RAID: Adaptec 2610sa controller (RAID 0 w/ 3x80GB Maxtor drives)
Other: 150GB Hitachi (set up as scheduled backup for SSD and RAID drives)
Optical: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A ATA Device

-Other-
Fans: 8 fans in a reworked BTX case with LED switch in front to toggle fan speed on GPU & CPU simultaneously for extended heavy use. Runs almost silent at standard speed & quiet at high speed.

-Notes-
Computer runs very fast and I'm hoping at this point to gear it toward a novice because its heavily modded to the point where an advanced user might be turned off by how irreversibly customized it is.

Back