• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the chance....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddyjaxx

That I can build high end systems, water-cooled with hard line, and sell them, with a warranty (extendible for a price), with delivery and setup within 400 miles, for a price, depending on the distance, on eBay and turn a profit? Even the high end companies. like Digital Storm, can charge upwards of 6k and more with not always top end items. I'm talking maybe 2 systems a month.

I'm sure you could, but you may have to invest lot of time and/or money into marketing yourself as an enthusiast gaming pc designer. Whether this is in the form of a business website, or a ad on craigslist(I'd advise against craigslist if you want to portray yourself as a professional builder)

It's just like Any business. you need to factor in the cost of a pc, the time it took to build it, the skill level required to do the custom water loop, and the cost put shipping, and from that, give yourself a profit margin you can work with.

There is definitely a market for this, but i don't imagine it will be very lucrative, as a lot of people are anti water because they think it's instant death if a leak occurs. even with a warranty, people dont want to deal with the hassle of packing it back up and sending it to you to fix.

now, another potential business would be building fpv racing or camera drones. Similar skills are necessary, and there is a Huge market for these things, because they break easily and get outdated with new tech almost weekly.

Agreed that the odds are slim. I honestly don't think there is that large of a market for it.

How much do you value your time ($/hr)? The cost of the PC is a small portion of the total cost of one of these builds if you are doing it for someone else. Sure you could sell it for more than the cost of the parts, but if you have to spend 20 hours building it and are only selling it for $500 more than the cost of the parts that comes down to $25/hr, which a helpdesk tech makes more.

I can see a huge headache problem in that endeavor. It might almost work in a large metro area with a significant population of well-to-do young families.

Yup, very slim. Too much can go wrong with it especially warranty wise to someone that doesn't know what they're getting into. You'll be losing money.

I may try it once. I love to build, but everyone is correct, people that buy these type of systems do so because they don't have a clue what they are doing on their own. Too bad I couldn't get a system and video BIOS that would lock them down where I could O/C as much as possible where the user couldn't mess with those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back