• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the generic "best board" for a 4670k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Looking for intel's equivolent for the 990fx Sabertooth. Around the 150$ mark. This WILL be for moderate overclocking purposes, on air cooling. Nothing extreme, but something reliable and stout for the CPU.

Will have a single GPU.

Z97 Extreme4 or Extreme6
I push my 4770K to the limit of what the chip and Kraken X60 are capable of and the board doesn't even flinch.

Cool, thanks guys. My brother wants me to build him a computer, so I wanna go as reliable as possible. Figured intel would be the best bet for that.

Cool, thanks guys. My brother wants me to build him a computer, so I wanna go as reliable as possible. Figured intel would be the best bet for that.

I'm assuming gaming?
What's the budget for him, I can throw together a suggestion real quick.

Haha, if you've noticed, I'm a cheap ******* for the most part. I was thinking 800+ peripherals, but I won't give him the computer until november, so I can get "must haves" that I find on sale.

Could I suggest a decent sized SSD (128GB or larger for OS) to utilize the SATA III bandwidth??

Could I suggest a decent sized SSD (128GB or larger for OS) to utilize the SATA III bandwidth??

Absolutely not hahaha :chair:. If he wants an SSD, he can save up for one :p He's doing something really ... "good" for himself, and this is supposed to be a combo present/reward for his birthday in November.

I wont be getting him :
SSD(s), SLI/X-fire, anything supporting above 1080p, anything more than an r9 280x, no more than 400$ on cpu/mobo.

The computer would perform very well, just may load things in 30 seconds instead of 16 :rofl:

edit: If you find a ridiculous bargain for a ~250gb SSD, then by all means I'd love to see it. I just want the market to stabilize a bit on them first before I get even remotely interested in these things.

save a few $ on the mobo, an extreme6 is overkill; put it towards a higher class rated PSU. the ram looks expensive for only 1866 8gb. what about the case?

Ram was cheapest 1866 I could find. They had 1333 ram on parts picker for like 8$ less....

Extreme 4 solid for moderate oc potential? I want this to last a long time.

He will get my lian li case.

Cool. I don't know my % €£ from my elbow with Intel right now. I'm still stuck in the ivy bridge era.

IB are like haswell if you check performance achieved at average daily OC. Just count clock like IB = haswell - 200MHz. Still average haswell is overclocking worse by these 200MHz at similar voltage so it's generally the same if we look at performance after OC.

Most boards are overclocking the same at least up to 5-5.2GHz . The main difference is memory overclocking and additional options like memory timings or vrm frequency. However most users don't need that.
It's much harder to find good overclocking CPU than a good board.

Back