• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats up with my PSU?!?! <cry>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I bought a new 1TB drive today, and when I got home, I shut down my computer, and installed it.

When I reconnected the computer, something weird is happening.

I have the OCZ520 (sig)

Now, instead of it coming on, the three lights that are supposed to be green (one for each voltage line), just flash on and off, with its fan coming on and off, every second or so. The mobo light also comes on and off with the PSU.

I disconnected the HDD drive and just left the mobo plugged in, and the same thing is happening.

Is my PSU dead? How can that happen, all of a sudden? Does this mean that if I didn't install the new drive it wouldn't have died? This just makes no sense to me at all, and this PSU is supposed to be the king.

Anyhow, if it is dead, what is a good replacement for it? The computer system is the same as in the sig, but I'd like a PSU with more modern connectors, such as more SATA etc.

But priority is to find out whats up with my PSU, it just doesnt seem right for it to die like that.

That PSU was NEVER king. Mediocre sounds about right from what I can remember.

BUT, did you try resetting the CMOS?

As far as a replacement, I would look in this section at the PSU sticky. Something like the Corsair 650TX would suit your needs and future expansion just fine so long as SLI/Crossfire isnt in your future.

The ocz520 sli was one of the best PSU's you could get in the day. However that was years ago.

How long have you had that one? I know mine went after a few years, but OCZ replaced it under warranty and gave me a 600sli to replace it.

Is it still under warranty?

Hmm you know I believe it is under warranty but I don't have any documentation. I hope all I need is the manufacturer number for them to replace it?

Oh, anyway, it won't be needed as of yet, I found out it was my fault. I accidentally nudged the mobo connector a bit off and that was the effect. After fooling around with it for a while and sweating bullets it started working like a charm again.

Thanx for all the help.

Good to hear it's working, but if it's a few years old I'd start planning replacement. Topower is also known for Fuhjyyu syndrome.

Mediocre sounds about right from what I can remember.

It wasn't that bad.

The ocz520 sli was one of the best PSU's you could get in the day.

It wasn't that good.

I recall MANY people on here having one..

And yet I wasn't one of them :p

The original 520 had regulation and reliability issues. The 600 had multiple issues with reliability and oversensitive protection circuitry. IIRC, only the 470W was trouble free and then they dropped it. Later, they fixed the issues with the 520's and released them as the SLI version, but by then better alternatives were coming out.

So I never got one, never wanted one. Got my Etasis built Silverstone ST56ZF instead. I have to be certain my units will hold up over time - if any unit can't sell me on that, I won't buy it.

I had no idea that there was no consensus on the OCZ520, at the time I bought it, OCForums led me to believe it was the best for that money.

I'm planning to build a new computer soon. What I know so far it will be a AMD 790FX/SB750 AM3 mobo and a Phenom II X4 cpu.

Rather then starting a new thread, what kind of PSU should I be looking at? I want one that can easily handle the above, with 3 HDDs, an optical drive, a Radeon 4870 video card, perhaps two.

I am sure any 500W could handle that, but I want a good new PSU with all the proper connectors, and enough of them, so I don't have to buy add-ons. And it has to be stable of course.

So, no OCZ anymore? Enermax and Antec are the only two other companies I ever owned. If you can recommend within these three manufacturers thats great, but I'll look at others too if you love them.

Corsiar 650TX should do the job nicely and is likely a little better in the quality than antec and about the same as Enermax Revo series.

May want to consider something bigger like the 750tx to allow for future upgrades

Corsiar 650TX should do the job nicely and is likely a little better in the quality than antec and about the same as Enermax Revo series.

Not completely true. As far as I remember, OW had reviewed the Antec Signature as one of the best PSU's he had laid his hands on at the time. Same goes for the Seasonic M12D, and I think they were both built on the same platform. As far as I know, the Delta built units blow Seasonic and CWT built units out of the water as far as quality goes.

I didnt see Signature mentioned. But I most certainly do concur. I should have added a bit more information. :)

I thought Seasonic M12 were some HX series of Corsiar?

Last edited:
Why don't you buy the Seasonic 700w modular here in the classies its excellent quality

I didnt see Signature mentioned. But I most certainly do concur. I should have added a bit more information. :)

I thought Seasonic M12 were some HX series of Corsiar?

I am pretty sure the M12 is a Seasonic built PSU, as well as most of the Corsair units. The M12D is a Delta built unit which seem to be built more toward server standards.

Edit: I just wanted to add, that Corsair PSU's are actually built by Seasonic and Channel Well Tech (CWT). I am sure OW will chime back in and either confirm or correct what I have stated.

Last edited:
That is correct. I think exactly half of Corsair PSU's were made by SeaSonic, and the other half by CWT. Interestingly, and I dunno the reason, all higher wattage units were built by CWT...

Right, I know guys. Here is a breakdown for clarity.

HX1000W - CWT
HX620 - Seasonic
HX520 - Seasonic
HX450 - Seasonic (EU/UK only)
TX850 - CWT
TX750 - CWT
TX650 - Seasonic
VX550 - CWT
VX450 - Seasonic
CX400 - Seasonic

I am pretty sure the M12 is a Seasonic built PSU, as well as most of the Corsair units. The M12D is a Delta built unit which seem to be built more toward server standards.

Seasonic builds all of their own units, including the M12D. The PC P&C 910 uses this platform with a much louder fan as well, but is a lot cheaper to balance it out.

HX750 and HX850 are CWT too.

Seasonic builds all of their own units, including the M12D. The PC P&C 910 uses this platform with a much louder fan as well, but is a lot cheaper to balance it out.

HX750 and HX850 are CWT too.

I thought the D in M12D might have stood for Delta. It has been a while since I have read the review, and really appreciate the correction, OW.

Back