• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's wrong with my HDD / System??????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

I added a hard drive to my system in conjunction with a full reinstall of everything. Once setup, 'My Computer' would hang or take 10 minutes or so to show contents - drives, etc. I installed the System Agent program that came with my Maxtor HDD. Now 'My Computer' behaves normally but I'm getting intermittent errors from System Agent. They all say, " Access violation at Address XXXXXXXXX in module 'smartdll.dll'. Read of address XXXXXXXX." X = varying memory addresses.

My hard drives are each on their own controller. The jumpers are CS. They are partitioned as follows:
HDD1 (WD Caviar 7200 RPM 40GB)= 10GB Linux (Mandrake 8.2), 20GB NTFS (XP Apps), 10GB NTFS (empty)
HDD2(Maxtor 7200 RPM 40GB)= 20GB NTFS (XP Home Ed), 20GB NTFS (empty)

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting these messages? I'm assuming this is due to Linux and XP conflicts. Other than the HDD, Linux is the only new variable. The other system components have functioned normally to this point.

System specs:

CPU: 1.4 T-Bird AYHJA "Y"
MB: Epox 8K7A+
PSU: 430W Enermax EGP465P-VE
HDD: WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM
RAM: 1GB (2*512MB) Mushkin Hi Perf DDR PC2100
Drives: 10x DVD, 40x12x48CD-RW, 1.44Flop
Display: ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO (AGP)
Monitor: 19" Mag Innovision 986FS
Sound: SB Live Plat 5.1 w/Live Drive
OS = Dual: WIN XP Home and Linux -> Use LILO at boot to select OS
Case: ATX Full Tower
Cooling: H2O Cooled

Pondering this for a bit it occurred to me I have overlooked something. I had a problem of 'My Computer' hanging. To solve that I installed the System Agent software that came with my HDD. Now I have Access violation messages*. The last thing I did was install that application. So it is a safe bet that application is what is causing the problem.

Here's my plan of action - I'm going to remove the Sys Agent application. At a minimum, that should make the Access violations go away. Hopefully, the hanging thing will go away as well. I'm hoping the Sys Agent app initialized something or added something my HDD required to operate correctly.

* The Access violation is from some system process running in the background which is accessing a RAM address that is already being used.

I'll post results.

Pulling the Sys Agent did the trick. The alert messages are gone and all other applications and processes are functioning normally.

Back