• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your connection speed? Test and link!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hate TWC. I mean I got serious hatred of them. They have monopolized the entire area where I live. You can't throw a stone and not hit a house with TWC. The complex where I live is strictly TWC. Management will not allow dishes mounted anywhere as well. No competition means higher rates for us :mad:

It's either TWC or nothing. I'm already in the process of moving anyway so I could care less. Again sad part is where I'm moving to only has TWC, go figure :rolleyes:

Same thing where I live only it is ComCast
they are crooks, there are no rates, they simply charge you what ever they want :mad:

I feel you on the lack of competition, outside of maybe the Columbus metro TWC is all anywhere has, but seeing as options are $35 for 1.5 dn .2 up DSL or satellite I'd take the TWC monopoly lol

Last edited:
The only competition for TWC here is (lolz) AT&T Uverse.
Google Fiber is laying lines everywhere though, we'll be saved soon(ish).

5213860940.png

Verizon just changed to Frontier in certain areas of S.Cal starting April 1 2016 , so who knows what will happen then . I can already see a change in online and streaming in the last week and not for the better ( After 15+ yrs with them , fu Verizon :mad: )

Last edited:
Called TWC last week to ask why my internet speeds have been decreasing the last few years. I normally see 9-17Mbps down/1Mbps up, and sometimes as little as 5Mbps down. And sometimes nothing at all, when my modem randomly goes offline. Apparently they've been billing me for their 20/2 service, but due to an error in their system in the account were actually only delivering service comparable to one or two tiers below that speed.

What do ya know, two days later and my internet speeds are close to what they were 4-5 years ago when on the same internet plan.

5263912806.png

Call em back and have them come out your still off you shouldn't drop upload like that. I am a TWC service tech and while those are better than you had its still off. If it's been awhile since we've been out you might simply need a drop upgrade from tap to home.

Call em back and have them come out your still off you shouldn't drop upload like that. I am a TWC service tech and while those are better than you had its still off. If it's been awhile since we've been out you might simply need a drop upgrade from tap to home.
Well, it's improved a lot. Used to only get .6-.8Mbps upload.

Yeah, they've already replaced the drop once, buried a new RG6 cable going from the pole connection to the back of the house about four years ago. Plus had to put a power booster in line because they said we were one of the very last customers on the line/farthest from the origin/source/transmission point and the signal strength and/or power level was dipping regularly (can't remember whether they said it was the signal strength or power level though). Do remember the Power Level was unusually low as it's usually between -7 and +7 to be considered normal, with 0 being a perfect signal, we were around -9 at the time.

Last edited:
pretty sure its standard across the board lol but we use -10to+12 forward 32-50 reverse and snr above 32 preferred above 34 not sure where the -7to+7 snr number ya have came from. yeah 0 being perfect for forward lvl is nice what modem ya have?? is it a newer maxx market modem?? if you check 192.168.100.1 you should see the levels for your modem on each freq.

pretty sure its standard across the board lol but we use -10to+12 forward 32-50 reverse and snr above 32 preferred above 34 not sure where the -7to+7 snr number ya have came from. yeah 0 being perfect for forward lvl is nice what modem ya have?? is it a newer maxx market modem?? if you check 192.168.100.1 you should see the levels for your modem on each freq.

Sorry, got my terminology mixed up. The -7 to +7 was referring to the Power Level, in dBmV, and not the Signal to Noise Ratio. Was told by one of the techs that came out that on our cable box it was supposed to be between -7 to +7, and it was around -9 or -10.

Currently using a Motorola SB6141.

Modem frequency screen.jpg

We probably should call them to come out though. I still don't understand why our cable boxes glitch out when the power level and SNR are well within normal specifications. I suspect it's due to something outside of the house personally, though that's the last thing the techs they've sent out in the past ever check. Mainly since every time they send a line technician out it costs them more for the wage of the line tech.

Last edited:
Netflix now hosts there own test at Fast.com. I just switched back to TW from Verizon FiOS/Frontier and get ~3x the speeds.
Image 1.png

5213860940.png

Verizon just changed to Frontier in certain areas of S.Cal starting April 1 2016 , so who knows what will happen then . I can already see a change in online and streaming in the last week and not for the better ( After 15+ yrs with them , fu Verizon :mad: )

* UPDATE (Fios to Frontier)

Well Ive dumped most of my FIOS/Frontier package ($190 month) , and only kept internet for streaming (Roku's ,etc) BUT my new speeds are supposed to be 150/150 ($75 month , no contract , lowest price and speed I could get :rolleyes: ) .

Hardly what Iam getting atm , so it looks like ANOTHER call needs to be made to straighten out my bill and speed (still being charged full $190 for my now defunct FIOS triple play ; even with my landline phone and ST boxes being off for almost a month) . :mad::mad::mad:

5348396714.png :bs:

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of moving and the new location has both TWC and Verizon. I've had TWC 300Mbps and love the speed, but pings aren't great. I'm thinking of getting Verizon Fios in the new home, which would be the 150Mbps tier. Slower speed, but the pings (avid gamer) should make up for it, and as far as I can tell, NYC is not an area that Verizon will be giving up to Frontier. But with the current ongoing strike, I have no idea when I could get it installed. Just tried to call them up and wait times were anywhere from 10-30m to talk with a rep. :-/

I'm in the middle of moving and the new location has both TWC and Verizon. I've had TWC 300Mbps and love the speed, but pings aren't great. I'm thinking of getting Verizon Fios in the new home, which would be the 150Mbps tier. Slower speed, but the pings (avid gamer) should make up for it, and as far as I can tell, NYC is not an area that Verizon will be giving up to Frontier. But with the current ongoing strike, I have no idea when I could get it installed. Just tried to call them up and wait times were anywhere from 10-30m to talk with a rep. :-/

Heres a FIOS ordering *hint , try and order online (print all things out) or have/keep a mailed flyer with recent sales deal (dont loose it or throw it out later , keep it!) vs ordering over the phone . Over the
"phone quotes" do not hold up well and most of the time Its to hard to prove what "package pricing" was quoted . Ordering over the phone is a pure nightmare later down road ,its hard to clear up/correct your bill and FIOS package without solid proof . Even with online ordering its not perfect but , its a 95% better way to get the "correct" pricing and package .

Verison/FIOS has soooo many different regional/state deals going at any given time (and changing very frequently) they (the service reps) honestly dont know whats going on at all on thier end ( quoted from multiple service reps , over the years)

Also to note , after your contract is up , its no fun trying to get ANY type of better deal for "existing customers" ; you'll be lucky to get the same price/packaging next contract . Existing or continued FIOS customers get the worst pricing ,year after year .

I know this all sounds like Iam bad mouthing FIOS (and Iam doing so from my and others experience) , but after 15+ years with Verizon/FIOS its hard not to warn new potential customers of what to expect .

Bottom line , just be careful and smart when ordering ! Enjoy being a "new customer " (really and sincerely ;) ) , but it all goes down hill after that "new" car smell is gone ....

Last edited:
Back