• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I find the very latest Google Chromecast Background images?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
When you do a Google Search for this, the sources that come up do not contain the very latest images I see being displayed as Google Chromecast backgrounds today.
What they contain is the older database of Google Chromecast background images.

Google has obviously expanded the database of their background images, so I was wondering if there is a way to replicate whatever method people used before to download the images?
The purpose would be to have Chromecast play a custom collection of them, rather than all of them randomly.

EDIT: There is a Chromecast Background Downloader here:
https://github.com/mrasband/Chromecast-Backgrounds

However it is a jar executable binary file -- How is that run to achieve the purpose of this thread's topic?

Last edited:
Oh, hey. .jar are run with Java - you'd install the JRE 1.7 and then run it with java -jar jarfile.jar - it's always a gamble if it'll work on any given system, though. The entire Java ecosystem is a huge mess.

I found that out the hard way...
Chromecast screensavers are stunningly beautiful, I actually purchased a few first gen Chromecasts for around ten bucks each just to run them on TVs around the house as picture frames when TVs are not used for other purposes.
But things change and relying on the cloud forever is not smart. There are several sites which offer Chromecast pictures for download and I can tell you none of the sites contain the current crop of screensavers which are run from the cloud...

Surely it must be simple to capture them but other than programs like the one I posted and this which appears to be the same thing:
https://devhub.io/repos/mrasband-chromecast_downloader... there is nothing else I can find.
There are many requests but nothing out there that I could get to actually work.

So was hoping if anyone has experience with these to do a test run just to see if they can pull full resolution pictures. There is a finite amount of them judging by repetition cycles. I could not get any of this to work myself, I tried.

Back