• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get a GIANT Heatsink, like a 1 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, these kind of heatsinks are often used in hi-fi and subwoofer amps. You can look at a highend electronics shop catalog and you should be able to lay your hands on one easy enough. I have seen huge sinks like these also used in power electronics, specially for rectifiers. The Heatsink used on the Logitech (forget the model no.) speakers is also around the same size, as is the one on the acoustimass (Bose). maybe not 12x18, but 10x15 or so for sure.

used/blown car amps can be a good source, as can be the local RS (dunno on this you'll have to check this out).

About the backplate cooling, yes, it's a great idea, but at the kind of temp differences you're talking about, wouldn't the use of such a large plate to cool the mobo be overkill - the insulation offered by a mobo's PCB is too high to be an effective transfer medium for heat from components mounted on its upper surface - plus a dielectric gel may not be as effective as passively sinking all MOSFETS, ICs and then using air to cool them? again my opinion only - may not fry your board and yet may not be as effective as plain old air and passive sinks? you should measure the Tc of gel to the Tc of a sink + air combo, I don't have spare hw or I could of tried it...

A bit on the side of the topic, but why don't somebode make a brand new MB format. Lets call it.. S-ATX. This is the plan:

- Have every heat producing component on the back of the MB, at the same height
- Have alle the connections and ports on the other side.
- As this means less stuff on the front side, have the AGP/PCI slots over the CPU/NB/SB and stuff.

Why?

- Shorter paths so more stable
- Attach the MB to a large HS (backplane=HS) for quiet cooling
- Small size!

But this would mean several millions of design work, even more layers so expensive PCB (but smaller!) and a new format needing new cases..

uh i found what's the britney (star) cpu

as i know it's an opteron socket 940 (i think) but can be also socket 7xx

Kunaak just go to the aurora home depot and ask the guys in the plumbing dept. They will freakout and ask about 30 different employies before telling you they dont have anything like that.... Just go down to the EMP with a cutting torch and take some metal off of jimmys guitar :D Mabye some local stereo shops have heatsinks?

Veland said:
A bit on the side of the topic, but why don't somebode make a brand new MB format. Lets call it.. S-ATX. This is the plan:

- Have every heat producing component on the back of the MB, at the same height
- Have alle the connections and ports on the other side.
- As this means less stuff on the front side, have the AGP/PCI slots over the CPU/NB/SB and stuff.

Why?

- Shorter paths so more stable
- Attach the MB to a large HS (backplane=HS) for quiet cooling
- Small size!

But this would mean several millions of design work, even more layers so expensive PCB (but smaller!) and a new format needing new cases..
A backplaned sink! That's a good idea. but I think it'd need active cooling to prevent the parts that get warm from overheating by sharing the same sink with the components that truely get hot.. Maybe a large backplaned waterblock, with the pathway snaking back and forth across the whole block's interior.

Or, you could seperate various 'hot' components with smaller sinks. P2/3 Xeon heatsinks would be great for that... I have a bunch of those, and they are fairly cheap anyway... usually 5"x5" or so. The idea is definitely coo... pun... dangit... it's very nice.

vonkaar said:
Or, you could seperate various 'hot' components with smaller sinks. P2/3 Xeon heatsinks would be great for that... I have a bunch of those, and they are fairly cheap anyway... usually 5"x5" or so. The idea is definitely coo... pun... dangit... it's very nice.

That would sorta defeat the whole purpose... I think the waterblock idea would be best... but I suppose maybe seperating them wouldnt be to bad of an idea if there was a way to keep it was one peaice... like some thermaliy capacative material to hold the differnt HS's together...

That was in response to the post directly above it. Eobard mentioned that keeping all of the heatsources on a single heatsink could be counter-productive. If you kept the whole underside of the motherboard covered in 3 large heatsinks, and they were joined up together loosely, like with a rubber gasket or such, the heat wouldn't radiate to each other so much as with a single heatsink. I'm saying... keep with the 'whole backplane-heatsink' idea, just use say... 4 smaller heatsinks instead of one huge one.

vonkaar said:
That was in response to the post directly above it. Eobard mentioned that keeping all of the heatsources on a single heatsink could be counter-productive. If you kept the whole underside of the motherboard covered in 3 large heatsinks, and they were joined up together loosely, like with a rubber gasket or such, the heat wouldn't radiate to each other so much as with a single heatsink. I'm saying... keep with the 'whole backplane-heatsink' idea, just use say... 4 smaller heatsinks instead of one huge one.
I would think that using multiple heatsinks would cause that problem of the heat radiating to the others. whereas one large on would have no placce to send the heat to other than the surrounding air. Add a few low cfm low dbA fans just for circulation (if at all) and it should work great. Awesome idea btw, Veland

marcus90509 said:
uh i found what's the britney (star) cpu

as i know it's an opteron socket 940 (i think) but can be also socket 7xx

until there are links and white papers..it doesnt exist. not that it matters, since now we don't have to hear about it anymore :D

and now back to topic.

I think I found something that fits what your looking for. check out the products here.
http://www.chtechnology.com/products/heatsinksmain.html
unfortunately I still cant find prices. (one of those, email and ask us type companies) but they do offer some large heatsinks as well as radiators and other things. (plus a bunch of other stuff)

Last edited:
pik4chu said:

I would think that using multiple heatsinks would cause that problem of the heat radiating to the others. whereas one large on would have no placce to send the heat to other than the surrounding air. Add a few low cfm low dbA fans just for circulation (if at all) and it should work great. Awesome idea btw, Veland

Um... I don't see how you figure using one would help more... Metals are a better heat conductor than air (in most cases, esp the case of a HS), so heat will move more easily via the HS to other parts than it will via air... try this... put one HS on a cooking burner or hold a lighter under it and then put another HS next to it but away form the Heat source (if you are using a lighter make sure the air doesnt go by the other one), then try it while holding the HS a short distance away. I gaurntee that if you do this correctly the second HS will heat up MUCH faster when its touching.

CrashOveride said:

Um... I don't see how you figure using one would help more... Metals are a better heat conductor than air (in most cases, esp the case of a HS), so heat will move more easily via the HS to other parts than it will via air... try this... put one HS on a cooking burner or hold a lighter under it and then put another HS next to it but away form the Heat source (if you are using a lighter make sure the air doesnt go by the other one), then try it while holding the HS a short distance away. I gaurntee that if you do this correctly the second HS will heat up MUCH faster when its touching.

yes but if you sperate the HS's it creates gaps in the board that are not in direct contact with the HS, and therefore heating up more or even beyond what they should. so having one single piece would cover the entire board completely and then it would not be uneven, even if heat is spread throughout the heatsink before disipating. Which is the point of a fan.

pik4chu said:

yes but if you sperate the HS's it creates gaps in the board that are not in direct contact with the HS, and therefore heating up more or even beyond what they should. so having one single piece would cover the entire board completely and then it would not be uneven, even if heat is spread throughout the heatsink before disipating. Which is the point of a fan.

Um.. the components would probably be sperated like they are now just all on the same levle, there would be gaps wher eyou could have a space btwn HSs... But you see some components have a lower max temp than others, like the CPU/NB and mosfets, mosfets can get MUCH MUCH more hot than a CPU and still function perfectly. If you used the same HS the average tempurature of the HS MIGHT be hotter than some components can take, while having seperate ones that are connected by a thermal capaciter (so its still one piece but not solid metal) would pretty much eleminate this.

CrashOveride said:

Um.. the components would probably be sperated like they are now just all on the same levle, there would be gaps wher eyou could have a space btwn HSs... But you see some components have a lower max temp than others, like the CPU/NB and mosfets, mosfets can get MUCH MUCH more hot than a CPU and still function perfectly. If you used the same HS the average tempurature of the HS MIGHT be hotter than some components can take, while having seperate ones that are connected by a thermal capaciter (so its still one piece but not solid metal) would pretty much eleminate this.

then whats the point of having lage heatsinks? :)
You're right. silly me. but then why not just get high HS (small base but long fins etc) and put on on each little component seperatly and have two low dba high cfm fans blowing across all of it or just in opewn air for complete passive cooling of every heated component?

pik4chu said:

then whats the point of having lage heatsinks? :)
You're right. silly me. but then why not just get high HS (small base but long fins etc) and put on on each little component seperatly and have two low dba high cfm fans blowing across all of it or just in opewn air for complete passive cooling of every heated component?

Well you could have HS's that are larger than you could put on there now ijust by redesigning it... and you would be able to combine thing in general like, NB/CPU, Mosfets, and pretty much everying else. So it woul dbe like 3 BIG HS's, probably with a slightly thicker base so the heat can easily travle to all the fins (thiner would restric the flow of heat too much for the extra area of the HS to take effect, then just have 2 120mm fans blow on it... and the AGP slot right next to it so that it gets air from teh fans as well (video card that is) and the memory bten the video and the big HS so it too gets air from there and bam, very quite, cool system.

CrashOveride said:

Well you could have HS's that are larger than you could put on there now ijust by redesigning it... and you would be able to combine thing in general like, NB/CPU, Mosfets, and pretty much everying else. So it woul dbe like 3 BIG HS's, probably with a slightly thicker base so the heat can easily travle to all the fins (thiner would restric the flow of heat too much for the extra area of the HS to take effect, then just have 2 120mm fans blow on it... and the AGP slot right next to it so that it gets air from teh fans as well (video card that is) and the memory bten the video and the big HS so it too gets air from there and bam, very quite, cool system.

you might even add a 4th sink just for the video and RAM and use the same cooling.. orrrrrrrrrr :)

You could use heatpipes from the MOSFETS and other smaller components and run it straight to the side panel of the case, which would be a heatsink. then use the other larger ones for the Vid/RAM and NB/CPU and other miscellany or some varioation of that. to have heatpipes for everything but the major heat generators.. CPU/NB being first with Vid/RAM close behind (depending on system config). either way.. it seems its better to have seperate sinks per type of component with minor air circulation to be the best solution for this kind of cooling (at or near fanless) wonder when Kunaak will get on and get us back on track lol.

pik4chu said:

you might even add a 4th sink just for the video and RAM and use the same cooling.. orrrrrrrrrr :)

You could use heatpipes from the MOSFETS and other smaller components and run it straight to the side panel of the case, which would be a heatsink. then use the other larger ones for the Vid/RAM and NB/CPU and other miscellany or some varioation of that. to have heatpipes for everything but the major heat generators.. CPU/NB being first with Vid/RAM close behind (depending on system config). either way.. it seems its better to have seperate sinks per type of component with minor air circulation to be the best solution for this kind of cooling (at or near fanless) wonder when Kunaak will get on and get us back on track lol.

Ya but then you would have to have a special cas..> I dont like that.

Back