• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is OC Forums favicon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Fresh install of Windows 8.1. OC Forums favicon is missing from the bookmarks bar in Firefox, Chroma and IE 11. Other website favicons are normally present in all three browsers.

Last edited:
Another odd thing recently in connection with that is the OC Forum lightening bolt favicon replaced the ESPN favicon on one of my Linux Mint laptops and on my android tablet.

Last edited:
Lol, the TPU icon replaced itself as my OCF favicon on my phone.

No idea why this is happening.

Okay, who's the expert on this sort of thing around here?

Last edited:
For precisely the reason you started this thread, I custom assigned icons to Windows 9x Favorites which carried on to today and I custom assign them in other browsers using add-ons, like this one for the example of Firefox:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonthakit/bookmarkfaviconchanger

Here are a couple of .ico files I always used:

Attachments

• ocICONS.zip
    9 KB · Views: 35
"Windows 9x Favorites"? Do you mean IE 9x?

c627627, that link you gave is wonderful! Got the lightening bolt back for OC Forum favicon.

Windows 95 and Windows 98 Windows Favorites folder which Internet Explorer uses to this day, which I moved across all the Windows versions until today.
Twenty years of links are in that Favorites folder, rather then exporting them into bookmarks, I use this Firefox add-on:
http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

It makes it unnecessary to import or sync anything since it simply inserts a Favorites menu into Firefox which displays exact same bookmarks as Windows/Internet Explorer do... I love the use of actual individual url links inside an actual Windows Favorites folder which is then used by all browsers on all my operating systems on my multi-boot. Individual url links can have their own icons just like any other Windows shortcut.

Single location, single Favorites folder for every browser on every Windows version on the system!

In screen shots, as you can see, the same exact thing in Internet Explorer, Firefox and even Windows 8 Start Menu itself, you modify the Favorites folder url shortcut and it displays the same everywhere without synchronizing:

IE-Favorites.png

FirefoxFavorites.png

Win8Favorites.png

Last edited:
c627627, I'm nor sure I follow all that but will take a longer look later. Looks like it has promise. Thanks for sharing.

Most people would not do this today but a long time ago when I started doing it, having my own custom icons for web page links was the primary reason for me setting this up: ;)

[Changeable] location of Internet Explorer favorites is C:\Windows\Favorites

That folder contains url shortcuts Internet Explorer uses. Those shortcuts are just like any other shortcut in Windows, their icons can be customized just as easily.

In short, there is a way to make that folder the universal Bookmark folder on the entire computer, no matter how many browsers or versions of Windows you have installed on the computer - they can all point to and use the exact same folder which contains fully customizable url links.
So instead of Bookmarks, Firefox has the same Favorites as Internet Explorer and Windows itself has a Start Menu where those same Favorites are displayed so you can launch an internet web page shortcut from the Start Menu itself. Individual shortcuts display the same custom icon globally once you set it manually.

Last edited:
Back