• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avenger1978

Im wanting to change my 955 for something better but dont no what to get. I play fps games alot and always have a few tabs open to, i have am3 fx MB so it can take any am3 cpu but dont no what would be good for me are the fx series cpu's any good for games? also been looking at the 1090t which i no would be ok but fx look more powerful or are there could some one recommend a good cpu for me

msi 870A am3 fx
12 Gb ram ddr3
1Gb gtx5850 gpu
PII 955 x4 3.2 cpu
1Tb HDD
60Gb ssd

Thanks

I love my FX-8150. I haven't had the bad experience that some people claim to have. It games in the most fantabulous way. It does everything I expected and then some (but does it blend?).

I don't know about the 4 and 6 core FXs, but if you are considering any of the 8 core CPUs, you should check that your current board can support the higher power needs (you didn't specify WHICH 870A board you have). The 95 watt boards (if the MSI 870A is one, I dunno) do not support the 8120 or 8150.

I would recommend a 990 board with the most recent BIOS installed or updated. If you need to update BIOS, do it before removing your current CPU.

Some of us have discovered that our new boards arrived with a BIOS that doesn't recognize the new 8 core CPU and we had to buy/beg/borrow an AM3 chip from somebody so that we could power up the board just to update the BIOS which would then allow the new CPU to be installed. My Crosshair had that exact problem. I didn't have any AM3 CPU (except the 8150 that the board didn't recognize) to boot up for the BIOS flashing. It took me 3 days to find an Athlon X2 240 to flash BIOS.

i would look at your MB site to see what you board will hold but if it will hold the 8 core i would go for that i have heard it is also a great overclocker as well

If you can find one, get a Phenom II x6 Thuban (1090t or 1100t).
You can oc it to 4.1/4.2 GHz with a good cooler.
It's a real 6 cores and does almost everything better than a FX 81x0.

If you don't find one, keep your x4.

In any case, buy a good cooler and OC...

msi 870A am3 fx = that is n0t a full model number of an MSI motherboard looking at their website. There is no -G(xx) after the 870A.

I have not seen a reputable UsA website offering the big boy thubans for sale now in nearly 2 months. Just the ones you have to FSB clock and not multiplier adjustable upwards.

Back