• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which card is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CntrlAltDel

Registered
Sapphire SC-S7790OC Dual-X Overclocked
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1876&lid=1

or

PowerColor AX6950
http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=313

The price difference between the two cards are just below $3.00 (Three dollars). The AX 6950 being $3.00 more than that of the HD 7790.
The differences I've picked up so far are that the HD 7790 is 128bit and has 1GB of memory whereas the HD 6950 is 256bit and has 2GB of memory. I know this will make a difference when playing games like Max Payne 3 and The Witcher II where the more features you enable, the more memory is required to play.
According to GPUBoss the performance difference between the two cards are miniscule enough for them not to declare a winner.
I'll be running either card at 1360 x 768 resolution.
The HD 7790 is PCI-E 3.0 whereas the HD 6950 is PCI-E 2.1 which doesn't really matter even though my motherboard supports a PCI-E 3.0 GPU, my CPU does not (Intel Core i7-2600).

I'd like to hear from you guys which is better.

Thanks in advance.

"Better" is a relative term. The 6950 got some drawbacks such as the higher heat and higher power consumption. But for mid to big tower systems thats not a matter, but its indeed a matter for SFF systems. GPU can produce a insane amount of heat, and there is a lot of differences when we compare newer with older architectures.

As far as raw performance is concerned, yes, the 6950 is probably a bit ahead but its nothing major. Means, in term a game is having unplayable FPS, a 6950 cant make the required "change. In term to make a true difference at least around 25% performance advantage is required, thats why i usualy only upgrade a card when the new one got at least around 25% higher performance.

Take into account that a 7790 may have a good OC potential, while most of the 6950 OC rather bad. Its possible that a OC 7790 got comparable performance to a 6950 when some OC added. So just to say, i would think twice before making your deicision and check out reviews of the games you may want to play.

Last edited:
Nah, that im not very sure, depends on condition. The factory OC is a minor 75 MHz, i guess the card may tackle up to 100 MHz more than that (something very difficult to achieve by a 6950). Taking into account that the memory interface is a weak 128 bit, some RAM OC can do wonders because the GPU is crying for bandwith.

So, nope, not to sure but finally price will matter too. But in term both same price i would probably go for the next gen architecture, because the performance difference is to minor for sacrificing better temp and noise values.

Nah, that im not very sure, depends on condition. The factory OC is a minor 75 MHz, i guess the card may tackle up to 100 MHz more than that (something very difficult to achieve by a 6950). Taking into account that the memory interface is a weak 128 bit, some RAM OC can do wonders because the GPU is crying for bandwith.

So, nope, not to sure but finally price will matter too. But in term both same price i would probably go for the next gen architecture, because the performance difference is to minor for sacrificing better temp and noise values.

The 6950 will outperform the 7790. It has a wider memory bus, double the vRAM and it has way more cores.

The 6950 is $3 more than the 7790 for him also. Worth the difference.

The VRAM is indeed a problem, didnt check out that matter. Had in mind there is no new gamer GPUs (7790 is very new) anymore with 1 GB RAM only. Even at medium settings, some 1080P games may already crack the 1 GB value (for example Skyrim may exceed the 1 GB even at medium settings when many addon added) so i would not reccommend. 1 GB stuff is very dated, nowadays even 1080P only gamers will benefit from having at least 2 GB (of course that situational but demand is increasing), so its not useless (some people may still spread the word that the stuff is no use).

In that term, 6950 is better deal. The card is still powerful enough for medium settings, so most games definitely dont have to be played at lower than average settings.

Last edited:
Where are you buying from? Depending on warranty, condition, and overclocks I would choose 6950.

Well he is only playing at 720P resolution, that means 1 GB is probably sufficient. But i know of no serious gamer playing 720P only on a PC, well everyones own choice. There will definitely be a clear sacrifice in graphics and the GPU can still handle 1080P without problems (when some settings lowered).

both cards about the same if you want to consider the potential in overclocking.

when it doubt, go with the newer generation.

The 6950 will outperform the 7790. It has a wider memory bus, double the vRAM and it has way more cores.

The 6950 is $3 more than the 7790 for him also. Worth the difference.
Spot on. Not sure how someone can deny its performance.. I put a link in to back it up, LOL!

In most cases I would say get the newer gen but the performance difference here is huge while the price is not. Makes no sense to go 7790 in this case.

ALRIGHT. so I see people suggesting different things, so I want to find out.
I did the following comparison:

at OP's resolution of 1360 x 768
with MaxPayne3. (OP's choice of game)

and guess what... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/18.html

looks like 7790 in fact does a little better there. (i m surprised)
so looks like there's more to this then just performance...

I must confess I don't play games that much, and my resolution is at 1920 x 1200.
but looks like if OP wants to use resolution of 1360..
then in fact 7790 better..
lower power, less noise, better performance, newer tech.

However, I will standby my choice where 6950 is a 'stronger' card, and will perform better at higher resolution.

OP, this is a case where you need to compare 'your games' and 'your resolution' to fit your need the most. here's a site for you. Good Luck!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/1.html

Last edited:
ALRIGHT. so I see people suggesting different things, so I want to find out.
I did the following comparison:

at OP's resolution of 1360 x 768
with MaxPayne3. (OP's choice of game)

and guess what... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/18.html

looks like 7790 in fact does a little better there. (i m surprised)
so looks like there's more to this then just performance...

I must confess I don't play games that much, and my resolution is at 1920 x 1200.
but looks like if OP wants to use resolution of 1360..
then in fact 7790 better..
lower power, less noise, better performance, newer tech.

However, I will standby my choice where 6950 is a 'stronger' card, and will perform better at higher resolution.

OP, this is a case where you need to compare 'your games' and 'your resolution' to fit your need the most. here's a site for you. Good Luck!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/1.html

Agreed blue but isn't that a bit moot (it terms of it doing better at 1360). They both run over 60fps and with a 1360 screen i doubt its more than 60hz refresh? Having said that and looking at the benches the 7790 seems to hold its own even @ 1080 against the 6950. But its game for game really.

Agreed blue but isn't that a bit moot (it terms of it doing better at 1360). They both run over 60fps and with a 1360 screen i doubt its more than 60hz refresh? Having said that and looking at the benches the 7790 seems to hold its own even @ 1080 against the 6950. But its game for game really.

yea, but OP is explicitly asking about 1360 res.. and we shouldn't ignore that.. that's why I insist on standing by my assessment that 6950 is a stronger card, but due to the parameters.. 7790 with 1Gb mem is in fact enough already..

so totally by game:res only.. (in fact, many games at that res, 7790 better.. even BF3.. only game I play on that list.. )

nonetheless.. if OP wants to also consider upgrading his monitor to a higher resolution, then in fact the 6950 might be a good reason to do so!!!! let me say it this way instead. :)

Back