• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which internet security suite do u use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You dont always get what you pay for, so no, you should not pay for AV if you dont need too, many people paid for AV and turns out the free ones got better detection rates more often then not.

I dont pay for AV and havent for years and havent got a virus, most infections are user caused.

A coupla months ago my Avira Antivir lit up like a X-Mas tree over Firefox cache. Completely legit sites apparently had malicious code embedded, maybe it was external ads on those sites. :shrug:

Why pay for Norton if freeware Avira:
a. does not slow down the system like Norton does.
b. Avira's virus definitions are better and more up to date, in other words it is by definition a better anti virus program.

There's no question that browsing naked (regardless of habits) will get you hit sooner or later, odds are not in your favor.

There's no difference between browsing naked and having regular unprotected intercourse with different people who you think are clean.

You will get hit, it's a statistical certainty.

I only use windows firewall and windows 7. i find hardware firewalls to be way to invasive.

as for antivirus i use Kaspersky, i am slowly transitioning in buying a key each computer in the house. i usually get them while they are free after rebate at frys.

Err sorry long day

I find ***software *** firewalls to be way to invasive. And i use smoothwall's firewall as my firewall.

and by invasive i mean causes problems and have programs not work properly or slow down in performance. On all the firewall software walls i have used, there exclusions list never worked the way i like it. maybe its just lack of patients but i have had no problems with my current set up...

maybe ill give KIS another shot one of these days. But i still love KAV

I use free Avast. Actually, I don't even know WHY I use it. I don't torrent. I don't open sketchy emails (don't use yahoo or gmail). All I do is surf, facebook (once a week) and game.

Ach3ron
Hadn't heard of ESET NOD32 AV before now - worth a closer look I see. Thanks for that. Mind telling us why u wouldn't even use the ESET Suite for example?

Well I tried it briefly and immediately disliked it. I then checked out its ranking at Matousec (which i should have done 1st) and saw it was one of the lowest ranked FWs there. Funny because NOD32 is one of the top-ranked AVs.

If I had to choose a seperate fw though, I would choose Comodo. Comodo is awesome if you can run it without issues + it's free. I am one of the unfortunate users who has troubles with Comodo + wireless. If the wireless disconnects, nothing short of a reboot will allow you to reconnect while Comodo is installed. I am in contact with one of the support staff there and he suspects Comodo has an incompatibility with Linksys wireless.

This has been a real window of opportunity for me, before this post I thought there was little choice beyond Kaspersky, Norton and McAfee. Sorry for not joining in, I was off line for a while building first phase of new PC. My Zone Alarm Suite ran out of time and I'm using the trial at the mo before commiting. The annual cost more than outweighs the time I could spend fixing the problem, and with over 400,000 files in my system I wouldn't like a bug to get in!

Like I said at the start, I've used Zone Alarms Suite and never had a problem - it's a bit of a pain while it's learning my 'spam threshold' but after a couple of weeks its very nearly not there. Whichever method or system used it is very much a case of what works for you and your situation. Thanks to everyone who posted.

I use Norton Internet Security on my main rig, my only complaint is that it automatically charged my credit card when my subscription expired. It never asked me or warned me I was going to be charged, but I noticed it on my bank statement, and I don't recall ever checking any auto renew option.
Stay away from thieves in the night:

Attachments

• RenewalFraud.jpg
    RenewalFraud.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 107
Internet security suites, making the personal computing experince drawn out laggy and slow in a city near you!

AntiVirus and Opera browser, nuff said.

Well, Everybody here knows that I've been hit a few times..
I have used AVG, Norton corp ed, NIS, Nav,McAfee and one other that I can't remember, and all have let me down.
I am now using Spyware doctor with AV (paid subscription), and so far it has protected me from my worst enemy..me.
I like how it warns me when a site comes up that has a bad rep, and blocks the site, and asks me if I want to permanently block the site.
I also use Firefox with all the addons like ghostery and the like.
Too bad these companies can't get together and pool their knowledge/databases to make us safer.
Good Thread

Stay away from thieves in the night:

Yup, Bit Defender does the same thing. Even after I logged into their web site and explicitly indicated that this copy (installed on a customer's machine at their request) should NOT be renewed, they renewed it anyway, charging my card. It took a few emails and phone calls to get them to reverse it.

There's a couple class-action suits going on about that right now, AFAIK. You might get a few dollars out of it, and make the lawyer rich(er) and happy :)

I really don't understand why, if we found out that freeware is better than many/most of these pay-for suites, why bother risk giving them credit card info or even using them in the first place...

I use Opera 10.00 beta with Avg 8.5 in partner with Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition (All three are free) and to be truthful, I run scans about once a month and nothing ever comes up.

I use Opera 10.00 beta with Avg 8.5 in partner with Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition (All three are free) and to be truthful, I run scans about once a month and nothing ever comes up.

but that doesn't prove anything. If you did find anything with those scans then the products didn't do their jobs in the first place. You need to worry about the things that your proggies DONT find.

Back