• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which MP3 player?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the Creative Zen Xtra 30GB player and I couldn't be happier. Easy to use, fast transfer due to the use of USB 2.0, and decent battery life. One a full charge, I can go for about 9 hours of continuous play. Additionally, compiling playlists on the computer is easy and when you transfer them to the player, the files go with 'em. Oh, access to the files is very fast too so there's no lag between songs.

~THT

hate to bring this thread back after its dead but i figure better than making a new one, I am going to order either a 15 gb iPod for 270 w/ free shipping or get the karma for 265 plus tax at cc on Tuesday after the Holiday I just need something to help me decide.

I still haven't gotten the Karma (money issues) but its the one you should get. Both have the battery issue (non replaceable.) The Karma has better connection options, though. USB 2.0 or Ethernet. Plus, it has RCA jacks on the dock, so you can hook it up to your stereo system if you want. Plus, it supports FLAC, MP3, WMA, and OGG. Thats a lot more appealing than just AAC and MP3.

The only thing the iPod has on it is the PDA functions (calander, games, etc...) But really, why do you need to use a calander, get contact information, and play solitare on your MP3 player?

do you think prices for HDD mp3 players are going to go down within the next few moths? specifically on Nomad Zen. Since there pretty much every major electronics company is now puting out thier MP3 players, ipod, and Creative Nomad are not the only ones out there.

What is the difference between Creative Zen NX and Zen Xtra ???

Last edited:
no i doubt they'll drop anytime soon. All the new models are either out or coming out so all the old models are already dropped as far as their likely to go so if you want one now is as good of time as any.

Thanks everyone, especially macaddict311 and eab. I got a Karma tonight, and am currently charging it up. Everything transfered to it without a hitch (after I updated the firmware, at first it kept freezing up, but 1.41 solved that.) The thing is tiny, I love it.

Also, I got it for just over $280 after tax at Circuit City. It has a $20 rebate, too. If you're in the market for a 20 gig player, this is probably your best bet. I know the 30 gig Zen Xtra is a little cheaper, and has more storage, but, the form factor of the Karma walks all over the Zen.

lol i went with the Ipod for 270 off their website, Just finished charging, littrle heavier then i thought but very nice, much easier to navigate then I thought it would be, and the software is a breeze, plus everything was packaged so neatly and throughly...

***Edited by SpeeDj***

We don't permit selling outside of the classifieds, I suggest you re read the forum rules and you will see this. Don't be selling things outside of the classifieds again please. Thank you

Sincerely OC Forums Staff

***Edited by SpeeDj***

t_biggs said:
I'm currently looking at hard drive MP3 players. Flash based are not an option. I'm just not interested in them anymore. My MuVo works just fine, so please, don't suggest a flash based player.

So, which hard drive MP3 player have you used or suggest? The ones I've been looking at are of course the iPod (15 gig), mini iPod (if I can find them,) Creative Nomad Zen Xtra (30 gig), Rio Karma (20 gig), and Rio Nitrus (1.5 gigs). I'd also consider a Muvo2 (4 gig version only) if I could find one.

The iPod looks best, but is it really worth the price for the limited space compared to the equally priced, double capacity Zen? The price and non-replaceable battery really turn me off to the iPod.

The mini iPod and Nitrus are unlikely that I'd buy, as for about $50 more I could get a large player. But the size of them is nice. Same with the Muvo2.

The Karma really looks nice to me. It comes with a dock, and connects via USB 2.0 or ethernet. The dock also has RCA stereo output. But, I havn't owned a Rio player since my old 32 meg Rio PMP300, and have read they like to leave customers high and dry when the product is discontinued (see: Rio Riot.) Also, it seems expensive for a 20 gig player... $50 more for 5 more gigs than an iPod.

So, what are your experiences with these, and which would you recomend?

Ok I went through the same thing about 4 months ago when my Sony MP3 Player died ...well the battery died so i gave it to a freind.... But In the end i decided on getting a Ipaq Pocket Computer.. Why well I figured that not only can I play musuc on it at a very high rate, I can also watch films (Full length Films that I have copied from DVD's that I own) not only that but all the other great things a PPC has to offer. Although the outlay is will be alittle more expensive I certainly found it the best option!

if your poor like me and want to save as much money as possible, you can get a Archos V2 Recorder, I got it from amazon with a final price of $130 after rebate, Its 20gb and it suits all my needs.... I believe its quite heavier and bigger than a Ipod but i'm satisfied with it.

The archos can also use RockBox, which is a 3rd party firmware software for the unit itself, its alot faster than the original Archos firmware and its open source and always being developed. You can customize what is shown on the play screen and for only $130, i think its a good price

does anyone have any experience with rockbox, I got one too cause it's cheap

I've tried to install rockbox and tried all the suggestions on their website but I cant get it to work, the rockbox software is there but it still boots from the archos software

Back