• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which NVIDIA series cards can be referred to as Founder's Edition cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

So, I get into a discussion (or argument) with someone who is saying their 900 series card is a "Founder's Edition" card, think it was a 970 or 980.

They say it's Founder's Edition, I tell them that NVIDIA didn't call any of them that until the 1000 series was out (and so far that is the only series that has any Founder's Edition cards).

So, who is correct?

Are all previous reference cards from all previous generations now automatically called Founder's Edition cards because that is what NVIDIA is calling the reference cards from their current generation lineup as this person is thinking? Going by that logic my 580 and 470 are Founder's Edition cards.

Or does this name only apply to the 1000 series (and presumably newer generations going forward)?

I've seen a lot of sellers on sites like ebay and craigslist saying their old 9XX and 7XX series cards are Founder's cards (presumably to get more money or more views off them by using that buzzword).

Last edited:
I'd go with only 10 series reference cards as Founder's Editions. I'd exclude previous generations, and I'd also exclude 10 series cards which might use the reference PCB but have a different blower on it.

I'm not sure if using the term helps directly on ebay, but it might give them extra search hits from non-useful information. Like in many cases you see ram listed as non-ECC which makes searching for actual ECC impossible.

Founders Edition = Reference card from NVIDIA. They are interchangeable terms to me. That said, they werent called FE cards until the 10 series. They only gave the reference card a 'name' in order to sell them at their inflated prices.

Founder's Edition is like others said, reference card which was available before other/non-reference cards so those who wanted to get it first could buy it ... in higher price. Nvidia started to use it for 10 series cards and bump prices even more.
Founder's Edition sounds somehow special but it's standard reference card and only package is different between various brands.
Reference PCB + 3rd party cooler is not FE or reference card.

^And that is why I keep on calling those "ref", because I am fed up with marketing BS, pushed down our throats like they would force-feed geese...

Back