• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Opteron is the best deal/performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They all seem to be getting past at least 2.5ghz, often times more so than that. And obviously it's a dual core vs. a single core.

With the single cores, even the worst ones are getting to 2.6/2.7 and in most cases past 3ghz.

But I dont think I can hit 3+ on Air. Maybe like 2800 max. I just want a Opteron so bad. Man they give me wood...lol j/p

I've only managed to get my 165 to 2.52ghz prime stable SO FAR...I think this hunny needs some burning in. Sadly, since Opterons run alot hotter than normal single cores, they produce ALOT of heat...plus it being dual core...*touches* tsssss...hawt

Maybe now would be a good time to start looking into water - cooling. Eh ?

Price/performance would definitely be the 144 or 165, since all the single core opterons OC really well. But then some with 148 and 175s have almost been "guaranteed" to be able to OC really well.

I doubt you'd need watercooling to handle the heat, especially since I've seen most Opterons run at high clocks on low/stock voltages. I'd say just air should do fine, but if you do decide to invest in watercooling, you'd probably get higher clocks.

Right now, the 144 has the best price/performance... if you can find one cheap enough. If you can only get one for $10-20 less than a 146 or 148, as retailers seem to be charging these days, the extra multiplier may be worth the money. However, a 144 will reliably get you around 80-90% the overclock of a 146/148 with many 144s hitting the same speeds, so if money is of an issue, a 144 is the way to go.
Similarly, a 165 generally will not overclock drastically worse than the average 170/175 so it is ultimately a better buy if money is more of an issue than maximum overclock.
But with prices the way they are these days, While 144s and 165s are generally cheaper than 148s and 175s, the former are drastically marked up while the latter are much closer to AMD's MSRP, which only complicates things further...

Back