• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED which to chose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

as some of you know im getting a AM2NF3-VSTA

the board takes up to a 970 but also takes 965,955, 945, 925
im going to bench AGP gpus in this board so the CPU will be on DICE 50% of the time but if its a easy gold i maybe lazy and use Air or if i can find a Cheap H80/H100
but im unsure which CPU i should get i assume that the 970,965 and 955 are the same but im not sure.
they are all very pricey on ebay and it seems noone here has these CPUs

which should i get?

so noone knows the different for the 965vs955? or 965 vs 940? overclocking wise

965 vs 955 <Both should be "BE" cpus and have an upward unlocked multiplier and being manufactured on basically the same 'guts' both go to about the same Max Mhz.

945 vs 925 <Both of those are generally multiplier locked if I remember correctly and that means overclocking only by upping the FSB and having to jockey the ram, CPU/NB, HTT and such busses to keep them in range when raising the FSB.

Much prefer the BE cpus with unlocked multiplier for generally much easier overclocking.

By the way this site had all the information that one could want about AMD processors. LINK

ok thx i know about BE i forgot to say that lol
so get a 970,965,955
i hope i can find one!

well ya but i would perfer to get it here but i see that alot of places are selling the 965

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...001028 600005574&IsNodeId=1&name=Phenom II X4
965 is cheaper :)
it starts 200Mhz higher and still passes AMD stock requirements
i think they are all the same thing, the 965 just did better in testing than the 955
i would think a good am3 or am3+ board would have better over-clocking potential with the newer chip-set

check the model numbers closely
HDZ965FBGMBOX - newegg
HDZ965FBK4DGM - supported on that board

Last edited:
does the Model # matter like that? it seem one it Boxed and one is OEM

if you read the warranty, using a non-stock HSF voids warranty also over-clocking voids warranty, and i would say about everyone on this forum has done that
proving either is near impossible if you don't alter the voltage

i noticed the agp thing a few min after i posted

If you don't need a cooler and don't want 3 year warranty, then get the tray/OEM with no cooler.

i can find box ones cheap then OEM ones
i that mobo use the Box model number? :confused:

k i see on Blackfriday a 965 is $75 on tigerdirect but i think its in store only :(

ya i think there are some stores out there not even close to me i only got a microcenter which sells 965 for same price as newegg and tiger

Back