• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would be more cost effective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

I've been talking about going to AM3 since they came out, but money has been tight. I currently have a nice and happy Athlon x2 7750BE Kuma that'll hit 3.6GHz on my JetWay board. I know it can do better, I just need to get a better board.
So anyways, I've come up with 2 options. Sell my CPU + MoBo + DDR2 for at least $110, and then spend another $150+ and upgrade to:
  • ASUS M4A786TD EVO
  • Phenom II Heka 740BE or Propus 630
  • 4GB of good 1600MHz DDR3
Or... I can keep my OCz Gold PC2-8500, and my CPU and get a new more capable mobo. I am not sure what some good full ATX, preferably 790GX or 780G, crossfire capable AM2+ boards are out there. If I went this route I'd only end spending $100 or so and I would have a spare board handy. Would this be a good idea? The problem being upgrade path... I am sure I'll go AM3 in a year anyways. What do you guys think? Plus any mobo suggestions?

From what I saw on HWBot's CPU-Z scores I'd say you're pretty close to the top end at 3.6 GHz. Sure, there were a few at 3.7 GHz on air but darn few. Unless you're joining the benching team I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade your existing equipment. I know money can burn a hole in your pocket but I'd sit tight and save what you've got until there are official details about Bulldozer, then make upgrade decisions from there ...

Back