• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Do I Want W8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Two things:

1. You can make Win 8 boot into Desktop!!! Therefore given an equal choice b/w Win8 and Win7, why go Win7 when Win8 can be made to be the same as Win7?
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

2. No there is no reason for you to pay $ to upgrade to Win8, unless you have a touchscreen.

Shell replacements for Windows are nothing new, as that's been the primary means of modding Windows for years now. However, as much as I like them as modding tools, I refuse to rely on them to restore basic functionality.

i apologize if this point was made. I am too lazy to read all the posts sometimes.

I feel a touchscreen on a desktop PC is like putting tits on a bull. For me, I have a couple 24". Not extremely pricey, but turn them into touch screens and you shell out a boatload of cash. Not only that, I can't reach my screens without getting out of my throne. There is no sense of pushing touch screen support to the VAST majority of desktop users.

I can see it working on tablets and phones (they already use the interface on them), but the VAST majority of laptops don't even have touchscreens. More tits, in my opinion.

Finallly, unless you NEVER used a previous Windows or Mac OS, the learning curve on this POS GUI is steep. Screw not having the start button. that is just the beginning. It (the interface) is cumbersome and it is NOT intuitive as they declare. It is just blowing up their failed telephone interface and cramming it down everybody's throats.

Like in the 80's and all the startup processor clones, someone out there needs to come up with a stable windows OS clone so we arene't pushed away from your desks due to ****ty ideas.

The thing is though that, in general, the majority of users are rapidly moving away from desktops to laptops. And with the Windows 8 release comes a whole slew of laptop/tablet hybrids from pretty much every company. Dell XPS Duo, HP Envy X2, Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga, they all have them.

This move sucks for the majority of the people on these forums, hardcore desktop users. I don't think this moving against the majority of the market though, especially with the hardware releases that are going to follow. Everyone's moving towards 1 unified OS for phones, tablets, and PCs.

i do agree with you Knufire. But the PC (laptop) equipment is still a bit on the horizon that has any real value to it. Hell, I got the dock for my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. I still end up poking at the screen occasionally because to me, it is still just a tablet with a hideous chiclet keyboard and touchpad attached to it.

ANd maybe MS offering 1 OS to cover all the bases isn't really where the community is headed. Still, nobody really will touch the ****ty windows phones. They wont sell any tablets to make a dent into the market. Even iOS is being overtaken, quickly by Android (and the upcoming Tegra3 devices will widen that gap even more) devices, which happen to be more flexible, powerful, and sooo much cheaper than Apple stuff (Apple fanboi's will ***** but the facts are the facts).

I think it (Windows phone on a pc OS) will alienate a large segment of the PC using population. Just look at the affect Bulldozer's shortcomings from expectations have done to lifetime AMD supporters. I know what AMD ALWAYS does is try to be innovative and "the next" thing on the horizon, where IBM improves current tech to operate better, but this time Bulldozer, well, Bulldozed them into a hole.

If you've ever been using Windows 7 and thought, "Man, this is nice, but it would be way better if it had a half-baked touchscreen interface bolted awkwardly onto it," then upgrade.

If that idea has never occurred to you, then just stay with Windows 7.

hahahaa thank you for that, thats what i thought i was too..

what would happen if we try to install steam on windows 8 then? i tried isntalling it on consumer preview and it worked fine.

is microsoft working on getting steam blocked along wtih some other programs that dont pass microsofts test? or something?

i cant seem to wrap my head around this fully....

No. MS are not blocking Steam. What they have done is create a Windows Store. That potentially makes Steam unneccessary. This issue is something for Valve to worry about, not us customers. Competititon is good.

No. MS are not blocking Steam. What they have done is create a Windows Store. That potentially makes Steam unneccessary. This issue is something for Valve to worry about, not us customers. Competititon is good.

so i could still use Steam on windows, play steam games on windows, and valve will still support Steam for windows.

all they are doing is just making steam for Linux to increase competition?

Well...

Everyone's moving towards 1 unified OS for phones, tablets, and PCs.
Oh that is what they would love to do, walled gardens for everyone! But will will forcing touchscreen UIs on to desktop users be successful? That is by no means a given.

MS has the cash reserves to play around with this idea. And from a business prospective they would be silly not to dump some resources on it. But that does not mean that somehow people are all of a sudden going to get all crazy about having to hold their arms out in front of them for long periods of time, blocking their fields of vision, and smudging up their monitors to get work done. Oh sure the movies make it look cool but go ahead and try it at your desktop for 10m. Just pretend for 10m that your monitor right now is a touchscreen, I'll wait. ;)

Further a lot of what we actually do in working with computers works well with the WIMP interface. Touchscreen UIs are a necessity when you don't have the 'resources' to have a real keyboard and mouse/touchpad available. And for what they have to replace when you are working on a smartphone/tablet they have come along rather nicely. But the idea that we need to go away from the WIMP interface on desktops and even laptops is silly marketing driven nonsense.

Finally as far as it goes given that WinXP is still in our OS ecosystem you are not going to see Win7 go anywhere anytime soon. I'm sure that some of the WinXP users are on older hardware and we will see them being Win8 users...briefly. Then we can all get an uptick in our consult time as we have everyone coming to us for downgrades to Win7 much like when Vista came out.

Relatively speaking, there is no business Desktop user in favor of Windows 8 default GUI, none of us knows of or has met or has heard of anyone in favor of Windows 8 default GUI for business Desktop.

Everyone shares the opinion, so I think the argument is specific because there is no user arguing for Windows 8 default GUI on business Desktops.

I'm not worried about Steam becoming unnecessary until Microsoft shows that they are willing to match Steam discounts.

Put it this way, I'm not holding my breath.

Why is every one talking only about steam and touch screen.you don't have to use the touch screen if you don't want to.And about steam the internet is full of hacks mods and stuff if win8 dosent support steam the rest of the internet will find a way.and why not talk about the good aspects of win8.like how its boot time is faster than any other win os.or how its eta;s on file moves are 100% accurate.

a couple seconds on boot time isn't going to make me happy with a giant telephone UI or no start button. I tried the demo they have out there and it is like steering your car wily your elbows and maneuvering your mouse with your one foot and feeding your infant with the other all at the same time.

Did I say the interface looks like the failed phone they keep trying to cram down everyone's throats just bigger so you can see much easier that it is a fail?

Why is every one talking only about steam and touch screen.you don't have to use the touch screen if you don't want to.And about steam the internet is full of hacks mods and stuff if win8 dosent support steam the rest of the internet will find a way.and why not talk about the good aspects of win8.like how its boot time is faster than any other win os.or how its eta;s on file moves are 100% accurate.

:facepalm:

BAH

so i could still use Steam on windows, play steam games on windows, and valve will still support Steam for windows.

all they are doing is just making steam for Linux to increase competition?

Yes to all of the first part. MS aren't blocking Steam nor likely to. Valve aren't going to stop supporting Windows either as that would be cutting off their nose to spite their face - i.e. it would hit them rather hard in their purse.

But making steam for Linux to increase competition? Probably. Maybe. Partly it might just be anger at MS for producing a competitor. I'm not really very familiar with Steam but my recent reading seems to show that the head of Valve can act quite emotionally sometimes. There really seems to be a grudge showing against MS. I wouldn't entirely rule out that Steam for Linux is a sort of way of giving the finger to MS. But on a practical note, Steam for Linux (a) gives them a stick they hope to be able to beat Microsoft with - i.e. they can't viably play hardball with MS if MS know that they are completely dependent on them. But if they can credibly threaten to deploy more games on Linux, MS might give them greater concessions (they hope - I doubt it). It also gives them a safety blanket if they find themselves going the way of the dodo on Windows. That's the thing - with the Windows store and the ease with which games developers could sell their software directly through it, there's no solid reason why any game producer would need Steam. Valve might be able to produce a better product, they might be able to bundle enough extras into in the form of community or bundles or such. But the fundamental requirement that made them necessary is gone. That scares them so they're exploring other options. At least that's my take on it. Without actually sitting in Valves meetings, who knows for certain? But the above is the most plausible and fits the facts, imo.

IF Win8 can actually improve performance of everyday tasks and all you need to do to get a Win7 style start menu? I think people would do it. but I at this point absolutely hate the new UI and the fact it forces you to use it with no easy option to change it makes me a sad sad consumer.

I would support the idea of the new UI IF (and that's a big if) it were an option to enhance the OS for the small market that needs it. anyways I don't think its a good move for Microsoft.

I'm 100% with Pvt.Dancer. Rolling out a new GUI for unification's sake with no real performance or convenience enhancements is absurd. but, even it if it truly were more friendly to multi-thread operations and they don't give you an option to use a standard Windows/Mac OS style GUI, I certainly will never upgrade. This user interface sucks, at its very best, and is downright unusable as it is. Great for phones, okay for tablets, adequate for a laptop, but I am not reaching out from my chair all day to poke at my monitors, (which i would have to change to touch screens) that are touch screens to get the damn thing to work smoothly for me. I am NOT a child being punished in school by being forced to hold books out at arms reach for an hour to teach me to regret buying this coaster/software.

You wont use the touchscreen with w8 yet u want touchscreen for other things.

Anyone see the irony here? Bulldog doesn't! :p

lol. Now I would enjoy having a coffee table computer... but! that's besides the point. Its not that the OS will be bad in fact I'm downloading a full copy of server 2012 and Win8 thanks to technet's early release. and I'll let you know how it runs on my other SSD and I'll have a better opinion then. though I can say at this point if it weren't free I wouldn't be doing doing this.

You wont use the touchscreen with w8 yet u want touchscreen for other things.

Anyone see the irony here? Bulldog doesn't! :p

There's no irony. There's nothing out of whack. with a phone and a tablet your fingers ARE already on the screen (DUH) and they are already touch screens. on a laptop, your fingers are 4 inches from the screen. Not a big "stretch" (literally) there (another DUH). When I am at my desktop, when I reach out my arms to the screens, I am STILL 1 foot away from touching them, let alone manipulating whatever is on the screen.

Sorry EarthDog, your post is nothing but trolling to me. Of course I want touch screens for some things and not for others. I want a touch screen at my grocery store self checkout. I don't want a keyboard and mouse. that would be absurd. What a ridiculous statement and poor attempt to make me look foolish, EarthDog. And if you actually read the thread, you would have seen my position from the very beginning of it.

Back