• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is HP Ink expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes they do, which is why I apparently need 2 of each cartridge if I refill them myself.

The printer remember the last cartridge installed but it forgets it if I install another cartridge. Basically, it only remember using the last cartridge installed so 2 on rotation should work. I hope....

I showed my mother the LD cartridges so when we run out of ink we will pickup the LD set.
Unfortunately, I only have 2 blacks and cyans so I need to cough up for a genuine yellow and magenta..... :(

I don't print much my self so I would not know. But I wonder if there is a way to spoof the chip and refill them.
Like reset them.

I don't print much my self so I would not know. But I wonder if there is a way to spoof the chip and refill them.
Like reset them.

Would need a way to read 'em.
Custom firmware on the printer itself??

Well I "need" more yellow ink to continue printing. :mad:
Went to LD and selected the 4 pack of the re-manufactured ink colours.

Went to the check out and shipping killed it. $85 CAD for all 4 colours is almost the same as going to the store.
Tried just buying the yellow and a magenta since it's low, and again $26 USD for shipping...

So it seems LD ink is not really a good option for me :(
So I guess it's off to staples for some goddamn ink tomorrow. :bang head

EDIT: Just bought this: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D5TUAK8/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item
Hopefully I can refill the OEM cartridges without any issues....

Last edited:
People still use inkjet? I dident even know that still excised... Seriously, you're using technology that is mostly unchanged since the 1990s. Go laser. You can get a full color laser printer for about $400 nowadays, and the toner is so cheap it's effectively free. I bought toner on eBay, enough to print 50,000 pages, for about $20 with shipping. The same for ink jet would probably cost nearly $1,000. You dont even need to replace toner cartridges on laser, you just refill them, until the ballast or roller goes bad, which is typically not until well after 10,000 pages or more. Even then, a full replacement cartridge is like $40 if that on eBay.

If you are fine with black and white, which is fine for most applications, then the laser printer can be had for under $100 and the toner is even cheaper.

People still use inkjet? I dident even know that still excised... Seriously, you're using technology that is mostly unchanged since the 1990s. Go laser. You can get a full color laser printer for about $400 nowadays, and the toner is so cheap it's effectively free. I bought toner on eBay, enough to print 50,000 pages, for about $20 with shipping. The same for ink jet would probably cost nearly $1,000. You dont even need to replace toner cartridges on laser, you just refill them, until the ballast or roller goes bad, which is typically not until well after 10,000 pages or more. Even then, a full replacement cartridge is like $40 if that on eBay.

If you are fine with black and white, which is fine for most applications, then the laser printer can be had for under $100 and the toner is even cheaper.

I would, but my parents would never cough up that much for a printer....

I may get myself a laser printer when I move out, whenever that happens lol. I don't print very much and I know that inkjets will dry up over time. Lasers don't do that right?

I would, but my parents would never cough up that much for a printer....

I may get myself a laser printer when I move out, whenever that happens lol. I don't print very much and I know that inkjets will dry up over time. Lasers don't do that right?
No.

Back