• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my Xp Professional so slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I reinstalled Windows XP (legal!) this morning, it was an update, so i kept all my files and settings.

When i click the 'my computer' icon, it opens a blank window, and starts searching for my drives. It takes ^*#%% 10 minutes till the actual my computer (with drive names, my documents etc.) pops up :mad:

Also, when i start notepad right after a bootup, it takes a few minutes before it pops up..same thing with MSN messenger.

Seems like somehoew my PC just didnt finished booting..ive had these problems before, but forgot how i solved them. Does anyone have an idea? This is SO annoying.

tia

Use Linux n00b!

Just kidding. ;) Really, what I would do is all of the basics. Update your virus software and run it, defragment, and scan for adware with a few different programs. I HATE doing the Windows update/over the old installation thing so much.

Also, what's your Task Manager look like?

I installed xp pro in the last 24 hours too :)

I love it, haven't had any problems. I suggest you save all the information you can, REFORMAT your hard drive and do a clean install.

Have you updated windows?
If not, do so.

Are you sure you've got all your drivers installed correctly?

There's endless possibilities of what might be wrong. This is why I never do a "keep files and settings" reinstall.

Best thing you can do is delete all particions, make a new one, reformat it with NTFS (or other) and do a clean install of windows.

Sjaak said:
I reinstalled Windows XP (legal!) this morning, it was an update, so i kept all my files and settings.
tia

wrong! never do an update :)

fresh install is the way to go!

rather then trying to figure out whats wrong for hours and hours

install winxp fresh (format the hd quick) in 30 minutes. put sp1 on there (4 minutes), update windows (10 minutes), install your drives (10 minutes), install programs (depends for me 40 minutes, a hell of a lot of tweaking progs office apps, web dev, graphics), copy your files and folder back your favs etc.
tweak winxp and all apps, defrag test etc 1 hour.

takes me 4 hours to to a total winxp install including all tweaks and applying all settings to my applications and windows and setting up ICS with my laptop.

obviously I have very single program I need and very tweak etc allready on my 2nd hard drive! 2GB worth of programs etc. a lot faster then cdrom though :)

PS: ones you have done it 4 times you can do it with your eyes close

Its a temporary install, im going to build a RAID array in a month or so, then ill make a format. Im quite an XP-experienced user, to say myself. Already scanned for adware, virus whatever, tweaked the pc for best performance.

My task manager is fine - no strange programs eating 100meg or so. Swap file is on 512MB (got 1 gb ram), but i already tried t fix it w/o result.

I have never been able to do an update from another os without any problems. Definatly do a clean install, that should solve any problems.

Back