• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why so much cheaper than Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Positronic

Registered
I'm trying to compile a list of hardware that I want to build for a new computer. I'm no guru by any means but I have a general knowledge of computer building and have been doing some research on different processors and so. I was considering an i7 2600k, but I have seen that the new Bulldozer AMD CPU's are much cheaper, even for the octacore and hexcore CPU's. I was curious as to why they are so much cheaper?

I don't get into all the stress testing and super fine details, but it seems like a CPU with more cores and faster clock speeds would be more expensive. Is it just a name brand thing with Intel? Any input on this is appreciated!

Would they still be viable for gaming? I'm looking to play stuff like Tribes: Ascend and Diablo 3 with maxed out settings.

Oh yes. They're not bad chips, and they're great for gaming. That's why I bought my FX-4100 for a budget gaming build.

Alright awesome man, I appreciate it. Definitely going to look into the AMD chips more now for sure.

With Intel you get somewhat better performance for a lot more money. If money is no issue, there is no reason not to go with Intel. If you're looking for the best cost to performance ratio, go with AMD.

Is there anything I should know when choosing a motherboard? I don't want to run into bottlenecks while I game or anything. Is it really necessary to buy a gaming mobo? And what specs should I look for?

An FX-8120/50 CPU even at 4.8 GHz is about as good for gaming as a stock 2500K.

These CPUs are pretty awful GPU bottlenecks, there is no disputing that the 8 cores can do well in highly multi-threaded applications but they often lose by small margin/match older Phenom II CPUs in gaming/single thread applications.

all MBs will work the same, its really the bios and the quality/new technology things on it, just make sure they have good customer service then you're fine
i see really high quality stuff with bad customer service all the time

An FX-8120/50 CPU even at 4.8 GHz is about as good for gaming as a stock 2500K.

These CPUs are pretty awful GPU bottlenecks, there is no disputing that the 8 cores can do well in highly multi-threaded applications but they often lose by small margin/match older Phenom II CPUs in gaming/single thread applications.

So if I decide to go with something like the FX-8120, it will end up bottlenecking my GPU?

So if I decide to go with something like the FX-8120, it will end up bottlenecking my GPU?

Depends, of course, on the GPU (or GPUs if you go with SLI or Crossfire). Little if any except on the highest end GPUs.

I was thinking of buying i5-2500k but after I saw the price difference of the motherboards I decided to buy FX-8120. I would have had to pay 180€ just to get a mobo with firewire which I need for my DTV tuners.

I think I made the right choice, even after mild overclocking at 4.0 GHz at stock voltages it beats i5-2500k, on 3DMark 11 physics and Geekbench atleast.

Okay question...I understand that games don't use more than two cores most of the time. So in an instance like the FX-8120 vs the i5 2500k, why does the i5 perform better even if the 8120 is OC'd?

The 2500k is more efficient per clock cycle. It's like a dump truck going 55 mph carrying 10 yards of dirt will get more dirt hauled per trip than a pickup truck going 110 mph but only carrying 1 yard of dirt.

The 2500k is more efficient per clock cycle. It's like a dump truck going 55 mph carrying 10 yards of dirt will get more dirt hauled per trip than a pickup truck going 110 mph but only carrying 1 yard of dirt.

I see...thanks for that analogy, that helps. I just want something that is going to be the best for gaming and whatnot since even though I won't be gaming on it a whole lot like my consoles, that's what I want it built for so when I do want to play, I can play at max settings. Guess I have some deciding to do. Thanks for all the input everyone.

That pickup would be carrying light dirt, or would be heavier duty than your typical F150......definitely not a mini-truck............:D

All this talk has made me wanna buy an intel, since im more interested in gaming, than application... But im not a hardcore gamer, so my system will be just fine.

Also AMD is cheaper, because they dont spend anywhere near the same amount of money on their Advertisement campaign as does intel. So they are able to have lower price on thier product while still getting a substantial profit

There is no reason why you can't play your games at maximum settings on an FX-8120 / 8150.

Its only when you start running ridiculous amounts of monitors at the same time for gaming that it gets bogged down, and so will a 2500K, just not as soon.

There is no reason why you can't play your games at maximum settings on an FX-8120 / 8150.

Its only when you start running ridiculous amounts of monitors at the same time for gaming that it gets bogged down, and so will a 2500K, just not as soon.
No, running ridiculous amounts of monitors (and lowering GPU FPS, making GPU the bottleneck) is where FX does "okay".
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scaling/20.html

If you are holding 60 FPS with the Sandy Bridge CPU (these comparisons are at stock too...), you will be at about 53 FPS with the BD on average. Performance numbers are much worse in gaming too for the 4/6 core FX CPUs.

In many cases, a Phenom II X4 980 beats out every single FX CPU in gaming while at stock speeds using a little over half the power consumption. Same goes for the 2500/2600Ks, using less than half the power of the FX CPU in gaming.

As you can see, the stock 8150 can not beat out an i7 920...

All this talk has made me wanna buy an intel, since im more interested in gaming, than application... But im not a hardcore gamer, so my system will be just fine.

Also AMD is cheaper, because they dont spend anywhere near the same amount of money on their Advertisement campaign as does intel. So they are able to have lower price on thier product while still getting a substantial profit
They are cheaper because they are a smaller company by 10x...and they can't compete with intel's mainstream (BD vs SB, PD vs IB) without using twice as many cores. I hope PD looks better than BD did, with Phenom II X4 beating out FX-6100 all the time.

Back