• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Mystery file transfer problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barbapapa

Registered
I sent a basic text file from my workstation to a Compact Flash card and a few characters came out different. Mostly a few letter Js got changed to Ks.
To transfer the file I right click it in Windows Explrer and 'send to' the memoy card's drive letter.

This is a CNC machine tool program so errors like this can cause a serious crash. I've never seen this before in several decades and the various methods that have evolved.

What could be the culprit?

Some specs:
Windows XP
Connectland USB memory card adapter.

Does this happen with more than one CF card? Does this happen with another CF card adapter?

I would run a MemTest to confirm your RAM is 100% OK if yes.

It happened several times in a row with the same card and adapter.
I rebooted and now I can't repeat it. Memory tests of the RAM and CF card show no errors.

The machine seemed like it needed a reboot anyway, I had a bunch of programs open and was taxing it.
I don't think it's bad memory but rather something getting lost in between "send to" and data bits heading out the USB port but I'm no expert.

I'm stretching here but why don't MS programs freeze up with the BOD the way they used to, is the OS ignoring problems that used to cause freezing? Could this be a Windows thing in conjuncion with a maxxed out system?

Could be an unstable overclock.

Running Prime95 without errors for half a day may test that but :shrug:

Back