• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will boot at 4.0 as hexcore, won't boot at 4.0 as a quad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This depends on the RAID controller. Some will let you create an array without initializing* the disks, which is what wipes them. This is mainly only an option on hardware RAID cards or full blown software RAID (not on board motherboard RAID). However, there is nothing stopping them from offering the option, and it probably doesn't default to it.

*Not initializing is useful if you have to re-create an array without destroying data. For example, if your RAID controller can't read the configuration from the disks, so it has no idea how to reconstruct them. As long as you create it the same way and the disks are in the same order, the data is accessible.

This is what I was going for - I found someone else via google who more or less had the same issue and repaired his raid via this method. However, I don't know what else to assume other than one disk somehow just died by coincidence while I was screwing around with my OC, since it is only showing one disk in the ROM. I'm going to take a second look at it tomorrow, but I'm tempted to just wait until my tax return comes and buy one SSD.

If you can, drop it in another machine to see if it still functions. Make sure to swap out SATA cables.

Right on about the intialization thing being the process that wipes the drive since it is in essence a format of the drive. I did not mention whats and whys because I don't remember seeing any onboard raid that did n0t intialize the drives before going forward with the raid process. I certainly don't expect onboard raid on the Gigabyte 970a-UD3 not to do the initialization thing.

It certainly sounds like he may well have a bad hard drive.
RGone...

Upon further investigation, one of the disks is boned. Not a huge deal since I don't actually store much of anything on the main drives, just games.
Edit: I changed everything to default, and switched the drive options from raid to AHCI, and the windows installer can't see either of the 250gb drives, but DBAN can. One of the drives sounds god awful - keeps making a click, winding down noise, then sounds like it's spinning back up. Probably dead, but whatever. I'm wiping both drives and we'll see where it goes from there. I'm sure there is a more elegant solution, but screw it.

Last edited:
I had an issue kinda like this too sometime in the last two months. I was trying to push my OC as far as I could and disabled two cores, but it would not post with only two cores @ 4.8GHz, it will only boot with 4 cores. :shrug: Oh well.

Also, I did cut it down to two cores at my daily OC just to see if it would boot and it did, but when I re-activated all cores it wouldn't post until I cleared CMOS.

Back