• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will I see Big Diff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lharp

Hey all I love this forum ,

Switching over to Amd from Intel !! Just wanna play and see what there like.

Just ordered a new x2 5200+ after price cut and was wondering how much of a boost I´ll notice from a Intel P4 (478) at 3ghz . Also going with 2 sticks ddr2 800 (2gig - OCZ) . Now I got 4 sticks , 512 ddr 800 from Kingston HyperX .

Also quick ? with AMD I don´t have to space the ram out from slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to get dual channel?

Thanks 4 Any info

You should see a significant boost, especially after overclocking. A 2.6Ghz A64 is approximately as fast as a P4 running at 4ghz, and the second core adds quite a boost when multi-tasking or using a program that is multi-threaded.

This should be a blazing fast system.

The memory installation depends on your motherboard, different manufacturers do it differently, you need to check your manual to see which way to install it to get dual-channel. Most sane manufacturers color code the slots such that slots of the same color enable dual channel, but some do it the other way (which makes zero sense).

Welcome to Overclockers Forums :)

I ran a test on a P4C-3.5G against an A64 4600-2.64G. Both had 2G Ram DDR420 vs DDR880, 9800XT vs X850XT stock video.
The 64 was at least twice as fast.
The test app is a ray tracing program running I upgraded to multiple threading. The data is buffered to ram before the paint eliminating video differences. You can see an obvious delay in the P4 HT while waiting for the screen paint vs the almost instantaneous paint on the Athlon X2. I still like to use the P4 to develop on so that I can test for slower machines but it's a riot to net it to an Athlon to see the app smoke!

[B][/B] Thanks For the Quick reply

Hoping the system will last for the next 2 years or until graph card goes pop , fizzzz .. lol

Pry wrong place to ask , But gonna stick all this in a NZXT case ..

http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/

Any thoughts !!!!

Gotta X1950 pro dealer said it would fit fine :drool: :drool:

Thanks all again keep on clocking

What may be a problem with the case for a high TDP cpu like that is the exhaust venting. The rear cheese grate will increase noise and block up to 45% of the airflow. I can't see how well the blow-hole will vent from the angle of the picture. Dremel out the rear cheese grater and replace with a wire fan grill if case temps are above 30C. My case temps are generally in the mid to low 20s. Other than that it looks like a nice case!

Thank ya

Ok Good thinkin but fans not a prob it´s going to be flooded with water . Only fans I´ll keep will be small case fans to keep lil air movement for HDD´s and ram ...
Want this thing quite as possible ....

Will post pic´s be about a month gotta finish Kitchen remod first ..

You will crap your pants when you see the difference! I went from the 3.0e Prescott to the 3700+ and I went nuts with the increase in performance. My folding production went up as well!

Back