• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will installing windows 7 make my pc run any faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

im coming to a dead end here. and im getting pissed. i have a pretty decent rig to play games on but i just have a feeling that it could be playing better. i have it overclocked running on water and did everything i could do to make it faster and im still not getting it. im starting to think its got soemthing to do with windows xp and possible cause it doesnt let me use all of my ram cause its 32 bit. i mainly want to play guild wars 2 a bit better. and i feel like i should be. the game is more cpu heavy than gpu. and i run all my other games on high and get 30-40 fps. and on gw2 i get 20-30 and i jumps down to 15 or lower if i move the camera too fast. the thinmg that really gets to me about this frame rate is that its the same fps no matter what settings i put it on. high, low, in the middle. its alway around the same fps in the same areas. the way ive been think of it is that it possiblie might be something to due with not haveing the most recent versions of directx and the other graphic enhanchment tools. and also the lastest drivers for the gpu too. ive tryed it on all different kinds of clocking methods . from 3.1 all the way up to 4.2 ghz it still runs just about the same.

i also think it might be a psu issue.

maybe we can come up with some kind of solution.

Looks like a nice enough build, so yeah I would go with 7x64 since you have the ram. Also there were some updates that came along after Vista that did slow XP down, I think on purpose. Windows7 is far and away better than XP, can't beleive now that I dual booted for as long as I did just to keep an old printer. I probably would replace the PSU later as funds permitted but I have run Dynex PSU's and didn't have any problems but It has been a while since I had one.

Having 8GB of RAM on a 32 bit OS is silly. Move onto a 64 bit OS for that reason alone.

Back