• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will L12 mod help me with a KT880 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsiebert

I have an Athlon XP-M 2500+, using a Soyo KT880 Dragon 2 v2.0 board on latest BIOS, 1GB of high quality DDR400 memory, Matrox G550 (not a gamer) and a couple drives and DVD-RW, should be easy to handle for my high quality 350 watt PS. When I boot up after clearing CMOS, it sets the CPU to 600MHz with a 100MHz FSB, so obviously it isn't recognizing the mobile XP well, but not too unusual for a desktop board and a mobile CPU.

I'm trying to see whether I can overclock it a bit, but require that it be absolutely stable so I'm not pushing it too hard. I have been able to run it at 2400 MHz with a 200 MHz FSB and got Prime95 to run stably for 48 hours using only 1.6v, so I was pretty happy.

However, today I switched to I testing it using memtest86+, and it has a couple hundred errors in test 5! I tried clocking the CPU down to 1800 MHz, still errors. Tried increasing memory voltage to 2.9v, still errors, tried setting memory timings to the worst possible settings for everything, still errors.

Finally I tried dropping the FSB to 166 and got it test 5 to run without errors. A little experimenting found that an FSB of 175 or so is where I start to see problems. There isn't any way to crank NB voltage up on the Soyo, but it is barely warm to the touch so at least it isn't overheating despite being passively cooled. The board supports FSB of 200 natively since it is the last generation of VIA socket A boards, so I really doubt there any problems there.

From reading everything here it sounds like the L12 mod might help me, but it seems like everyone doing it is using Nforce boards, will it work on a KT880 board? Where is the definitive description of how to do it? Seems like there are some conflicting opionions about which pins to connect -- I don't want to destroy my new board when I've had it less than a week!

Any help out there? Thanks!!

Well, in case anyone is curious I went ahead and tried it. First I tried to connect FSB_Sense[1] (AH30) to ground (AH32) but it didn't work. Then I read the AMD docs where it talks about needing a 1Kohm resistor. I wasn't about to solder, but I figured since FSB_Sense[0] (AG31) is already correctly connected I connected AH30 to AG31 and bingo, I came up with a default FSB of 200!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped, I am still seeing problems in memtest86+ in test 5.

Oh well, maybe now that I'm comfortable with fitting tiny wires into my socket I'll try the multiplier mod so I can get access to the higher multipliers I need...

i know this is probably of no use to you know but since I got a KT880 board I looking for info on it. Anyway did you get it fixed, if not I wouldn't worry about it I had a gigabyte board that would always fail memtest eventhough nothing was overclocked and it was stable, so as long as it is stable in windows memtest shouldn't matter. But in case your unstable in windows send the board back because it is supposed to handle 200mhz fsb without any modding.

Back