• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will running a discrete gpu on an APU setup allow the temps to run cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Just noticing my htpc (A4 6300) runs pretty warm. Would slapping a cheap-o gpu take some load off the APU and allow it to run cooler? Seems like it would work in my head, but I havent seen any direct practical results from this in my googling.

Just wheel spinning...

Just noticing my htpc (A4 6300) runs pretty warm. Would slapping a cheap-o gpu take some load off the APU and allow it to run cooler? Seems like it would work in my head, but I havent seen any direct practical results from this in my googling.

IF and that is big IF, you had a discrete vid card you could just test with it might be worth a test to see what actually happens. Disabling the iGPU and putting in discrete card should drop overall APU temp but would there be more heat in the case that caused the cpu cooler to be less effective? Would you really trade one scenario for another with odd results? That is the question that enters my mind. Questioning that I really have no answer for. Maybe a really low powered vid card would not tip the scales in any odd manner if the case itself is large enough. I hate these brain wonderings. Luck either way man.

RGone...

EDIT:
I was searching for disable iGPU and decrease heat and came across some information not previously even guessed at. HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) seems capable of some interaction not suspicioned.

See post #8 by Hat Monster. It is a very interesting read, especially as relates to the newer APUs.

Stupid AMD question of the day - AMD 6800K and standalone graphics cards.

Fully Enabling the A10-7850K while Utilizing a Standalone GPU

END EDIT.

Last edited:

According to an AMD engineer who frequents a forum no. He said that you actually generate more heat by the graphics being off die. Now the cpu and graphic card have to communicate through a bus which generates more heat. I probably did a very poor job explaining what he said.

According to an AMD engineer who frequents a forum no. He said that you actually generate more heat by the graphics being off die. Now the cpu and graphic card have to communicate through a bus which generates more heat. I probably did a very poor job explaining what he said.

Pretty dang clear C_J61. Vid offloads some to CPU and that communication to cpu being way out away from cpu generates MO Heat. Got'it.

RGone...

There's three voltages for APUs.

Cpu voltage.

APU voltage.

iGPU voltage.

Disable iGPU doesn't knock down heat because APU voltage is set at X and un-altered. That is why the heat doesn't really go down.

You'd want to lower APU and CPU voltages in bios to get a better temp.

(At least this is how my FM1 platform works, I imagine it's similar to AM1 platforms. I cannot however, determine if you have an APU voltage in AM1 bios)

Interesting. I'll grab a cheapo graphics card and play with this.

RGone - makes sense. The heat issue is purely the cpu running really really hot. Idles around 45-50c, and streaming data brings thst around 60c. Not concerned with noise, it just seems really hot for not doing much.

TIM was reapplied twice, no change.

I am also aware a cpu cooler will work, just not much fits Ina 6" wide case is all. Merely a discussion point for these things

Interesting. I'll grab a cheapo graphics card and play with this. < Nothing like a good experiment for sure.

RGone - makes sense. The heat issue is purely the cpu running really really hot. Idles around 45-50c, and streaming data brings thst around 60c. Not concerned with noise, it just seems really hot for not doing much. < Well that does seem warm if you are speaking of the package/core temp and not the socket/cpu temp. Never know when someone posts only the single temp when we are used to seeing HWMonitor so much for discrete FX processors.

TIM was reapplied twice, no change. < Gotcha.

I am also aware a cpu cooler will work, just not much fits Ina 6" wide case is all. Merely a discussion point for these things. Yes I hear you. Often looking at one thing gets me rubbing shoulders with other things. I am looking now at OpenCL 3.0 specs and compiling for windows. Too bad am such an ole faht withouut programming skills. Hehehe.

bob have you looked at your temps with AMD AOD? AOD shows the distance to heat issues and not what we are used to in seeing like a "temp". Might show us some captures of AOD loaded and unloaded and also same for HWMonitor if using it as of now and maybe we would be better clued in if you want to brainstorm some more.

A jump in round numbers from 50c to 60c unloaded to loaded, though is really not shett in the overall scope of things. Not in my mind anyway. A little heat with these dang hand and feet warming FX type things is not something that I get too uptight about with my own parts and pieces. This is in no a way a reference to yourself but to the general public coming and asking "how do I overclock my shett?" Sadly most seem only interested in the numbers to plug in and then off and running. I have the 'infamous' FatLady (Fatal1ty) by Asrock in my VidEdit system that is going to the wife. HEAT makes a bigarse difference. I am using Air cooling for the cpu as against my big water cooling from 20mos ago. Had to really rein my overclock in with the mediocre air cooler I have in place now. But point for me is that in the 20 days of using this FX-8120 and the FatLady and mediocre air cooling is that I have tested and looked and tested some more and have full set of images for repair. Test to see just how much speed and heat results from said speed and will it still make calculations without errors. When I am pretty well convinced of what is what in the next week, then "I" will know my setup and will not be depending on 'manny' or 'johan' or C_D to tell me what I might need to do. Not that you are is again not my point but in the overall scope of overclocking by everyone and it being a trial and error endeavor and not do A and B and get C, which seems what most have main focus on. Just the ole faht running on again. Sorry.

RGone...ster.

Back