• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this burn up my cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

Would my cpu be in danger of burning up with a 80mm Sunon 31 CFM, 2300 RPM, 25 dba fan on a Thermalright AX-7 with Arctic Silver 3? I checked the temp on my first boot which is 41 degrees then after installing Windows I turned the computer off. I wanted to test everything first so the mobo was outside of the case when I checked the temp. I rebooted just to check if I can get back to Windows and no problems occured. I then disassembled everything because I needed to mod the case a little. My dad said he can make a 80mm to 120mm adapter out of sheetmetal so I can use a Papst 120mm, 53.3 CFM, 1600RPM, 26 dba fan on the heatsink. It will be a week though until the fan comes in and the adapter is ready. I have nothing to do (I'm on vacation :cool: ) so I want to start loading stuff onto the computer but don't know if I should wait for everything to be ready first. I don't see anyone here using a fan as weak as mine so I'm concerned that the Sunon is not strong enough to run the computer for a week. This is my first build so I'm new at this. I'm concerned about noise, that's why my fans are weak. Thanks! :)

AMD Duron 1GHZ + Thermalright AX-7 + Sunon 2300RPM, 31CFM
Abit KR7A-Raid Mobo
Western Digital 40GB, 7200RPM, ATA100
ATI Radeon 8500 OEM
Lite-on 32x CDRW
Antec 400w PSU
Case cooling: 2 Dynatron 80mm 28 CFM, RPM unknown, 24 dba (front intake), 1 Sunon 2300RPM, 31CFM, 25 dba (back exhaust), holes cut for unobstructed airflow.

I am pretty sure, you can use our computer. the thermalright + sunon combination sounds better than most cooling solutions that come with boxed cpu. sure, there is not much space to overclock, but you can definetly run the system.

install any temperature reading tool ( mbm 5, or pc alert ... ) and look at the temps every once in a while.

and besides: your duron is a tough cpu. it might shutdown, but i will not burn out.

with the 120mm papst installed, you will be able to overclock your machine.

and if you are still in fear: downclock your machine to 900 Mhz. absolutly not needed, but if you sleep better.... :p

have phun ( and show us some pics of your case mod :) if t is any good )

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definetly overclock in the future once I get my system stable and have the proper cooling. I just bought a Kingmax PC2700 256MB to replace my Crucial Pc2100 and with the 120mm Papst fan I should be ready to overclock soon.

Back