• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this laptop be suitable for VS 2010, Adobe Web Premium, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qcom

Registered
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new laptop, and I need one that can run Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 pro, XNA Game Studio, Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium CS5, etc.

The minimum requirements are pretty basic, but I'd like to be able to run them with NO lag or performance problems, whatsoever.

I stumbled upon the Sager NP8690 (http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8690-built-clevo-w860cu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2659.html) from Xotic PC's. My budget is around $1,300 which this laptop fits perfectly.

I was wondering if this would suit my needs with pretty much the bare minimum specs customized on it.

Here is what I would order it with:

- 15.6” HD+ 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1600x900) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Intel® Core™ i5-450M, 2.4-2.67GHz, (3MB L3)
- -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5870 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 6,144MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (Requires 64-Bit to utilize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- No Back Up Software
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless A/B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- 11.1V Smart Li-Polymer battery pack 3800mAh, 42.18Wh
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
- No Xotic PC Gear

P.S. just as a side note, it would be nice if this thing could game a little, but I don't need to set records on Crysis xD so this would be a bonus.

Any suggestions on the Sager or another computer would be great!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Hey, I actually think the HP Envy 17-1010NR (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...655&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=21-69092311-2) is a lot better.

It will include some HP crapware to be sure, but it has W7 HP 64-bit pre-installed, so that's awesome.

Here are the specs if you don't want to follow the link :)

I actually like this a lot better, it has some better things like a bigger hard drive, and a slightly bigger screen, all with the same CPU I'm looking for.

Any comparisons would be nice, I can't find any reviews on this thing, ANYWHERE!

The Sager was better speced, and the Envy is much more expensive. Frankly, it looks really nice. Like a Macbook ripoff, but that's still pretty nice.

Asus' flagship laptop, the G73JH, has the same screen as the Envy, the graphics card of the Sager, and a better processor (i7-720QM). It's 1.6 to save power, Turbo's at 2.8. Plus the laptop has what I call the "magic button" that slightly overclocks the processor and GPU.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...218165344675&skuId=9741729&st=g73jh&cp=1&lp=1

Back