• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win10 app strip for smaller ISO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

How far can we go to "strip" Win10 of apps we don't want/need and then make a ISO solely for personal use ? point being a smaller install pack and a faster/lighter/smoother Windows experience. I saw this in a tweaking website for a x64 LTSB Enterprise Edition (won't post any links, site was dodgy), final assembly size was ~820mb :

Features removed: Backup, BitLocker, Cortana, Face/finger Recognition, Fax, File History, Hyper-V, IE – DeveloperTools, IIS, Handwriting recognition, Offline Maps, Miracast, MSMQ, MultiPoint Connector, OCR, Parental Control, Recovery, Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop, Speech/voice option, Storage Spaces, Tethering, Windows To Go, Work Folders, XPS viewer/creator, Asian fonts, some drivers.

you can gut it like a fish on hallloween and with some tips from dodgy web sites you can hook it up to a Linux system and reach right in there and gut it some more.

I had so much weird crap happen on a Dell notebook with W10 when I tried to "clean up" the install that I ended up getting a fresh W10 from M$ and went with that. Cortana seems to have her sticky little fingers in everything. Turning stuff off in that OS was "Let's see what that does." And I was surprised more often than I expected.

I had so much weird crap happen on a Dell notebook with W10 when I tried to "clean up" the install that I ended up getting a fresh W10 from M$ and went with that. Cortana seems to have her sticky little fingers in everything. Turning stuff off in that OS was "Let's see what that does." And I was surprised more often than I expected.
This ^ is a common issue with Android. There are some things that are *probably* safe to remove across *most* devices, but only trial and error works as a definitive answer. However for most devices, there are dev and other community members that have done the trial and error testing and compiled a list of " safe to remove" "not safe to remove" and "not sure".

I'm not sure when I will be forced onto Win10, but it looks like the OP has made a fair start at one of these lists for Win10 :D

:rofl: Jokes aside, what i really wanted to know is what is safe to remove and what's not. Less background services, less programs to clutter the SSD, less updates in the pipeline, less programs trying to call home = faster/smoother Windows experience. I remember doing this with WinXP and Win7 but Win10 has several services/apps that are deemed essencial and can potentially break the OS if removed.

I forgot all about Black Viper. His Services settings used to be my go to on any new OS install. And he always had pretty detailed info on what the changes would, and might, do.

Back