• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Install WinUpdates or Mobo Drivers First? And driver check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xeromynd

Registered
Hi there,
Just picked up a new Samsung EVO 840 120gb SSD for my system drive. Old Corsair one was running DAMN close to full at 60gbs. I'm going to be reinstalling Windows 7 Pro on it later this evening. Just wondering if, after installing Windows, it's better to:

-Install ALL windows updates first,
or
-Install ALL motherboard drivers first.

My guess would be mobo drivers, but I wasn't sure. I'd also like some input on the drivers below my mobo uses, because I know its not unheard of for a windows default driver to be better than the recommended one.
----------------------------------------------
I have a Rampage III Forumula, which uses the following drivers:

-Audio: Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6161
-USB3: NEC Electronics Corporation USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.0.19.0
-Sata 6.0 : Marvell 9128 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1034
[i understand I should avoid this one like the plague, let the generic MS driver install instead and avoid if possible]
-Sata 3.0 : Not listed
[is the Sata 3 driver included with Intel Rapid Storage Technology? or should I just let Win 7 install its default one.]
-Firewire: Not listed
[again, I assume I let windows handle this one?]
-Network: Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.5.0.0

-Thanks!

I usually load Windows updates before drivers. But, never let Windows update load drivers. Install all updates less any drivers, download the latest drivers and install those, good to go.

Back