• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win8 vs. win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macmaster4k2

Registered
If there is a thread for this could someone lead me in the right direction to find it?

I have been using win7 for a while but i am building a new computer and my usage on my windows key is up. I was wondering how windows 8 deals with games such as, LoL, AC3, BF3, etc. Both are the same price. Will it be pretty much personal preference when i check it out at the store?

How many times you can register the key with a computer, correct me if im wrong. I used the same key for 3-4 computers that were being built at the same time.

Activation key? Microsoft servers eventually detect duplicate key and deactivate the machine if the activation key is a single machine Windows 8 key. If that does not happen immediately, some people mistake that for being able to use a single activation key on two machines.

Activation key? Microsoft servers eventually detect duplicate key and deactivate the machine if the activation key is a single machine Windows 8 key. If that does not happen immediately, some people mistake that for being able to use a single activation key on two machines.

Im sure that is the case with windows 8, but the activation key i have is for windows 7. Regardless though, what it boils down to is that i cant register my windows activation key anymore thus i need to go out and buy a new operating system, which is fine because im picking up an ssd.

As far as gaming goes, how does windows 8 compare to windows 7?

EDIT: Sorry if it seems this post to be rude or disrespectful, was never my intentions to be :)

Last edited:
as long as you only have that win 7 installed on 1 pc @ a time you can reinstall a million times if you want to .

If it doesn't auto activate use the phone number and punch the key in they will give you a new one

If the question is Win8 vs Win7, I'll be posting this in a lot of threads: I do not understand why we would go with Win7 since we are computer literate enough to completely disable Windows 8 graphic user interface features and have Windows 7 looking desktop complete with Start Menu AND keep all actual non-GUI advantages of Windows 8 regardless of if we think they're necessary or not.

In other words, if you can boot into Win7-looking Win8, if you can disable Win8 side bar popups, then why go with Win7?

and ps. Activation has not really changed that I know of, legit single user key works on only one computer, for both Win7 and Win8. You can't use single use retail key on two Win7 machines.

Sometimes certain components can be swapped out and you may have to call Microsoft to reactivate but it is still the one machine with some different components. In other words, it appears that the implication in the posts above was that single use key can work at the same time on two machines, whereas it can only work on one physical machine.

Is it as simple as getting Win 8, googling Classic Shell, install, and viola! "Win 7-looking 8"?

Yes, however initial settings do not disable the charms bar for example which will have to be disabled in Classic Shell settings or you would be doing your work and *bam* Windows 8 charms bar would appear out of nowhere or my favorite innovation is you would be frantically working to meet a work deadline when *bam* Windows 8 starts showing you what the weather in Australia is because you accidentally hovered your mouse over the part of screen that Windows 8 has appropriated and is using it to launch things (!) - instead of having you use them only when you need them. So all that would have to be disabled in settings.

Also, if you need an actual Win7 Start Menu button or even a Windows XP start button you would need to have a specifically made button image. Otherwise Classic Shell has a few of its own.

Also, complete set of explorer buttons can be added.

I went a step further and made Win8 not only look like Win7 but Win XP, I made the WinXP button from scratch :):

Attachments

• Start Menu.png
    Start Menu.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Toolbar.png
    Toolbar.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 122
  • icons.zip
    644.9 KB · Views: 22
c627627, thank you for the advice and info. Helped a lot. For the outcome, i got myself windows 8. My thoughts on it so far, i underestimated it. Turned out a lot better so far than i originally thought it would be. Only problem i have is that you can link EVERYTHING to it. All it takes is one virus or hack and **** will hit the fan. Odds of that happening are slim, atleast for me anyways

You need to have a relatively small os partition with no personal data on it and then reimage it frequently. Good antivirus definitions will catch a lot of things.

But I don't get what you said, what do you mean link everything and how is that dangerous?

You need to have a relatively small os partition with no personal data on it and then reimage it frequently. Good antivirus definitions will catch a lot of things.

But I don't get what you said, what do you mean link everything and how is that dangerous?

it is like a smartphone in a way where you can download and install apps through the microsoft store and link/sync multiple accounts ( email, facebook, skype, banking accounts, xbox live, etc.). One example is that i have my phone synced to my computer so my calendar with all my saved dates that are on my phone are now on the computer as well. As for being dangerous, thats just mostly me being paranoid :D but i think (in my opinion) that it could be potentially dangerous because someone could possibly ping my ip and possibly backdoor my system but again thats just me be paranoid and overthinking possibilities

Last edited:
The thing there though, you can, but you don't have to use MS apps or store. You can disable MS apps or store from even showing up on your start menu. So complaints I think are valid when they do not allow us to customize, when they take away options without giving us a way to enable them if we choose.

But I think it's great when they innovate in a way that new features can be turned on or not. Enabled or not. In other words, you get to weigh your benefits and risks and if they are valid.

But they did not allow us to customize Win for super fast computing. That is a big problem which Classic Shell solves and makes Windows 8 useable and even makes the choice easy to go with Windows 8 vs 7.

Last edited:
Back