• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Dual boot preload

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omega Destroyer

For anyone who dual boots with a UEFI option under windows 10 using the windows 10 boot manager, you might have noticed that it kind of preloads the default OS, and if you choose an option that isn't the default it has to reboot the system back to the bios, then it boots the OS you want. Does anyone know how to prevent it from doing that, so that when I choose something other than the default, it doesn't have to go back to the bios?

I guess what I don't understand is why it's loading the OS prior to me choosing something from the boot manager. Basically the boot manager should show me the options and AFTER I make a choice, it should boot that OS. However, even before I make a choice, windows 10 boot manager seems to be pre-loading the default OS. I want to stop this behaviour so it only loads the OS after I choose.

The behaviour I see is that after POST, it loads the boot manager and lists the available OSes. If I choose the default OS, it goes straight to the Windows login screen. If I choose the other OS (still Windows 10), it POSTS again, and reboots the system to boot the non-default OS.

In my dual boot, W10 took W7's boot file. It drives me nuts. W7 was installed first, then unplugged and W10 was installed. As soon as W10 was up it tried to take over. LOL

The only time I have this "dual post" issue is when I have W10 set as the default OS, and I need to boot in to W7 (loads the W10 bootloader first). With an Areca RAID Card in my system - that adds approx 1 minute! If W7 is set as the default OS, you won't have the "dual post" to get into W10.

I use a a trusty copy of VistaBootPro to manipulate the boot.ini file when needed...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I couldn't find anyone else who had this problem. It was driving me crazy because it made loading stupidly long (but for only one OS??). The only solution I found was to use a different boot manager, which in itself was impossible because of how Windows handles multiple Windows installs.

I go over how to create an EFI partition for a Windows install that doesn't have one here:

Back