• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 refuses to install a font which installs in other versions of Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I tested the font under Windows XP and it works perfect. It may work under other versions of Windows on my system too but under Windows 10 I get:

Cannot install
The file does not appear to be a valid font.

InstallingFonts.png

I tried both right-click Install and copy-paste to Windows\Fonts directory.

The font 100% works under Windows XP...

Check out the big brains on ATMINSIDE. :)

Windows Firewall. That's right.
I use a third-party firewall (Comodo Firewall) and have turn off Windows Firewall from needlessly running.
And yes, you cannot install Fonts unless Windows Firewall is running.... Much obliged.

One question on that; once it's installed can you disable Windows Firewall and still use the font?

Yes. Once it's installed, you can turn the Windows Firewall OFF and keep using the installed font.

Are there work-arounds for this, I don't recall ever having to turn Windows Firewall ON on Windows 8/7/Vista just to install a new font...
If there is a choice I'd like to disable Windows Firewall from interfering with Windows, I have a better, third-party Firewall protecting me already...

Windows fw is fine. The problem is it has no decent gui. I run tinywall as a frontend for windows fw. I had a similar problem installing something which should not have needed any internet action either and windows fw was also the culprit (can't remember the exact exe). Nuance Dragon 14 does this also. It refuses to install if you block it.

On the (assumed) rare occasion that you install a font just turn the firewall on and leave it off all the rest of the time if you don't want it.

Brilliant strategy.

Why is Windows Firewall *mandatory* for Font installation?
Can this connection be severed?
Is this a new behavior, limited to Windows 10?
Yet another in never ending attempts to save us from ourselves? (Which is fine, as long as there is an option to give us the option to choose... which they conveniently forget to include for most things of this nature...)

Yes, it is new to Windows 10.

Other questions, I'm not sure...

Back